Stop the occupation! Where is the outrage?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by John_Wensink, Aug 19, 2008.

1. What did Iraq do to the US? Georgia, under the instruction of the US shelled and then invaded two territories that are clearly weaker and full of Russians.

The US tried its best to find excuses to invade Iraq only to find out they the oil was Saddam's biggest enemy.

But then again. You yourself should ease down on your hypocrisy supporting the unjust invasion of a sovereign state rendering it obsolete while crying wolf over the invasion of an aggressor country.

By the way, before you go further, I supported the first US war against Iraq.

#11     Aug 19, 2008
  2. The civilized western world should kick the Russian energy billionaires out - let them eat potato soup in Moscow and end of gourmet dining in the European capitals :)

A fitting punishment for everyone involved - easier for us to get tables, the billionaires should start eating what they were fostered with, and a slap in the face of their new tsar.

If only Europe weren't so dependant upon Russian energy supplies... It's the old realpolitik vs pragmatism once more.

#12     Aug 19, 2008
  3. Georgia, under the instruction of the US shelled and then invaded two territories that are clearly weaker and full of Russians.
    Wow, let me get that straight, you are not outraged by the Russian invasion because you don't see anything wrong about it, right? Or what am I missing in your post? You actually do think that what Russia is doing is legitimate, proper, completely justified and within the bounds of international law, don't you?

You did not consider Iraqi WMD to be a good enough reason to invade Iraq even though the entire world thought Saddam did have them and had used them against their own citizens.
    But you bought Putin's nonsense about protecting Russian citizens hook, line, and sinker despite the fact that those "citizens" were not Russians, never had anything at all to do with Russia and were in essence planted in Georgia as a justification of a future invasion. Let alone the fact that they are all alive and well as Russian claims of Georgian genocide, ethnic cleansing and 2000 murdered civilians turned out to be baseless lies.

By the way, before you go further, I supported the first US war against Iraq.
    before you go further I did not support the second US war against Iraq.

#13     Aug 19, 2008
    #14     Aug 19, 2008
  5. Russia's assault was to defend two territories that were shelled and then invaded by Georgia.
    Well, too bad those were Georgian, not Russian territories. It's like Mexico defending Texas from a US invasion. Or Bush claiming that we invaded Iraq to "defend" the Kurds from Saddam. I don't think you'd accept that explanation at face value, would you? Yet you blindly believe absolutely identical Russian propaganda. Let alone the fact that Russia wiped out Chechnya when they tried to do exactly the same thing the Georgian break-away regions are doing. But we all know that US enemies can do no wrong while the US and its allies can do no right. Right?

Russia's action is identical to the US's action in rebelling the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait.
    Right... Of course Kuwait is a country and Ossetia is part of Georgia, Kuwait asked for help and Ossetia did not (as it's not a state), the liberation of Kuwait was sanctioned by the UN and the invasion of Georgia was condemned by virtually all members of the UN. But hey, what's all those differences between america haters when they have a chance to blame militaristic, war-mongering US for an invasion and praise "noble", "peace-loving", "minority-protecting" Russia for an invasion.

I would bet you are the only one who believes such crap.
    The entire world believed Saddam had WMD. The opponents of the war did not believe that to be a sufficient reason to invade a country but the existence of WMD was not questioned by even the staunchest opponents of the invasion.

Not true. There is a large population of Russians in both of the territories.
    It's a well known and well-documented fact that Russia was giving out russian passports to Ossetians for the asking. 90% of them are ethnic Ossetians who never set foot in Russia.

Not true again. Videos do not lie and the are coming out from both territories and they show how these animals ran with their tanks over civilians, burned civilians alive and ethnically cleansed 4 villages.
    As of Sunday, Tskhinvali Regional Hospital had confirmed the deaths of 40 people in the violence, said Tina Zakharova, an Ossetian doctor who kept a log listing the deaths. That figure included both civilians and combatants - people who died at the hospital, whose bodies were brought to the hospital or whose families reported burying their dead in villages.

It has been more than a week since Georgia launched a large-scale military operation in South Ossetia, but South Ossetian authorities were still labouring on Sunday to figure out how many people were killed, Dr Zakharova said.
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/mystery-of-moscows-genocide-claim/2008/08/18/1218911567296.html

Human Rights Watch: Russia inflating casualty figures: Anna Neistat of Human Rights Watch...said doctors at Tskhinvali hospital gave figures that 273 wounded had been treated there and 44 dead had been brought to the city morgue.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/14/georgia.russia1

You did not support freeing Kuwait from the Iraqi invaders? Come again?
    I did. I said I did not support the second Iraq war, Kuwait was freed during the first Gulf war.

PS It's incredibly funny to watch how people who went ballistic about the US invasion of Iraq are now twisting themselves into ideological pretzels to justify the russian invasion of Georgia.

#15     Aug 19, 2008
    #16     Aug 20, 2008
  7. Not even remotely true. There was plenty of media which exposed the WMD lies before the invasion of Iraq. Scott Ritter, former UN weapons inspector, was one of the most prominent experts who debunked the claims. This can easily be verified. The lack of consensus in the CIA and other agencies is also on the record.

What is on Fox News is not what "the entire world" believes.

#17     Aug 20, 2008
  8. Wrong again. These territories were always separate territories until Stalin "The Georgian" decided to annex them and add them to Georgia.
    Not true, you should try to dig deeper.

The Ossetians are originally descendants of the Alans, a Sarmatian tribe... Under Mongol rule, they were pushed out of their medieval homeland south of the Don River in present-day Russia and part migrated towards and over the Caucasus mountains, to Georgia where they formed three distinct territorial entities. Tualläg in the south became what is now South Ossetia, part of the historical Georgian principality of Samachablo where Ossetians found refuge from Mongol invaders. Iron in the north became what is now North Ossetia, under Russian rule from 1767.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Ossetia#Medieval_and_early_modern_period

See Ossetians found refuge from Mongol invaders in Georgia. I can't believe Putin and Pravda "forgot" to tell you that.

"South" Ossetia asked for help from the Russians
    South Ossetia not being a sovereign state has as much right to ask for help from Russia as mayor of my township has right to ask for help from Saudi Arabia. Russia had as much right to defend Ossetians from Saakashvili as Bush had right to defend Kurds from Saddam

It is funny how when the so called UN's mandate agrees with you and rubber stamps your aggression;
    Oh so now the liberation of Kuwait is an aggression. Even though you said that you and the entire world supported it. But of course the russian actions in Georgia are defensive in nature. What was I thinking.

Well documented? Any evidance please?
    "80% residents of South Ossetia are Russian citizens and Russian citizenship was issued to them on the basis of Russia's legislation"
    http://www.today.az/news/politics/46930.html
    Which proves my point that they are not ethnically russian, never set foot in Russia and got their russian passports for the asking.

what happened to the people's choice??? if the people "South" Ossetasia chose the Russian citizenship as opposed to Gorgia, what does that tell you about Russia?
    It tells me that Russia should absorb and/or evacuate those people, not invade their neighbor.

That is not the issue a_person. One person killed in the American/ Gorgian unjust war is good enough to warrant a repraisal don't you think?
    The issue is russian lies and people who fall for them, people like you who were outraged by the US invasion of Iraq and are now twisting themselves into pretzels to justify the Russian invasion of Georgia. People who did not believe a single word coming out of the White House but who now blindly believe every lie coming out of the Kremlin and recite every Pravda editorial.

Russia lied about genocide, Russia lies about everything else in this conflict but you choose to blindly believe those lies. And it proves one thing only - people like you are driven by anti-americanism and nothing else.

And btw, if an american is killed overseas it's not an excuse for a military invasion and bombing campaign.

#18     Aug 20, 2008
  9. you make childish wishes, so dream on

as if american or european billionaires are any better than their russian counterparts

"If only Europe weren't so dependant upon Russian energy supplies" - well too bad those fags are - dream on you fuck bag loser

#19     Aug 20, 2008
  10. sameeh55, based on your logic you must have been fully supportive of the Nato incursion into Kosovo and the subsequent annexation of Kosovo to the ethnic Albanians correct?

After all, Kosovo is primarily ethnic Albanians same as Ossetians are Russians.

#20     Aug 20, 2008