Stop people who have blocked you from posting on your threads

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Millionaire, Jun 3, 2022.

1. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You shouldn't comment on things that you've not experienced (sarcasm). :D

wrbtrader

#11     Jun 7, 2022
  2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You misunderstand...the ban feature will only be enabled for the thread starter AFTER another member has been designated as trolling, harassing, or stalking another member.

To reach that step, identify someone as trolling, you need to take the same steps as we currently do by sending ET management links to messages or screenshots of multiple incidents of the person posting in your threads, creating threads about you and/or attacking you in other threads when you weren't even having a conversation with him/her nor mentioning their username...
    • The above is the current procedure and I only say that because whenever I've complained about someone trolling me...ET management has typically responded by stating to send links or screenshots to the messages...I'll look into it.
    ET management does the above so that they can then determine if the username should be given a temporary ban or a permanent ban...most likely it'll be just a temporary ban. The problem with this is that those types of bans are Forum Wide.

I'm not a fan of forum-wide bans because the trouble maker may only have a problem with you but not with other members. Yet, if the member has a history of trolling others, history of other members accusing the member of trolling...that's only when I favor a forum-wide ban.
    • The other type of ban is thread-specific. ET management already does this but it's just not openly discussed as an option.
    My suggestion involves a different type of ban but is related to the thread-specific ban...let the thread starter do it but it involves all threads started by you or give the thread starter two options...ban from all your threads or ban someone from specific threads while allowing the person to post in your other threads.
    • This thread-specific ban enabled for a thread starter involves only your threads outside of the Political section.
    Once again, the qualifier is determined by ET management (this removes the bias that you suggested could occur) about someone that's trolling or harassing another member. Yet, the type of ban is determined by the thread starter involving his/her own threads outside the Political section.

Simply, I'm not talking about trolling or harassing someone in the Political section... it's the crap that occurs outside of the Political section in other threads like trade journals, technical analysis, index futures, Wall Street news, economics, health & fitness, et cetera especially those that do not post in those sections and they then follow someone that does post threads in those sections...to then troll them in their own threads while they are on the person ignore/block list in a section the troll typically does not post in.

It's trolling, and harassment...I've seen members stop creating threads or leave the forum because of such.

I think this is much better than just telling the troll to fuck off.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    #12     Jun 7, 2022
  3. Millionaire

Millionaire

The problem of giving posters the power to ban others on their threads is it gives vendors and scammers the power to ban people who call them out for their BS and lies.

#13     Jun 7, 2022
    zdreg likes this.
  4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

That's a different topic and it's something ET management will easily recognize on their own so that they do not enable that thread starter the ability to ban others from the thread.

We both know the typical trolling topics in the current ET environment...
    • Vaccines, Republican, Democrat, Pandemic, Covid, Trump, Abortion Rights, Racism, and a hundred other topics. Topics that piss people off to a point that they then decide to troll or harass you in your own threads regardless of the location of your thread...trade journal, health & science, sports, technical analysis, and anywhere else outside of the Political threads.
    Troll eventually moves on to someone else that doesn't share their belief or is doing something that the troll does not approve of after learning about it.

As an example, I've had someone publicly announce they were going to troll me because I made the decision to get vaccinated to protect myself due to the fact that I'm immuno-compromise from an illness in 2016. The guy actually went on to say "I wish death upon you..." and that I somehow was killing off people like him that were against vaccines in a thread outside of the Political section...in a thread about the economic consequences from the Pandemic.

Next, he proceeded to post in every one of the threads that I started while I had him on ignore/block... including tracking down my old threads from years ago that were no longer active for the sole purpose to make them active again to continue his trolling...
    • Once again, all threads outside of the Political section and then he would say he's not trolling. :D
    Just as bad, he was doing the same to other members. After many complaints for many months...nothing was done about his trolling except he was given a warning. He was eventually banned for an unrelated incident.

There are a few others like him still actively trolling others here at the forum including re-activating old threads of their targets for the purpose to continue the trolling...some threads outside of the Political section. One troll will occasionally post links to stories about someone being murdered or killed and he'll then say this could happen to you...he'll say that to the person he trolls.

There are many other examples but the one thread that caught my attention about the trolling was in the trade journal section by someone that stated he was located in Texas and was a body builder or maybe a weightlifter...he was immediately trolled after that even while he's one of the few members here at ET that consistently posted his broker statements and/or live-streamed his trading in his trade journal.

That's a member that should have been enable to protect his trade journal with the ability ban trolls from his trade journal...the ability to do a thread specific ban...allowing those trolls to post normal elsewhere at the forum. Thus, I'm not talking about giving every member here at ET the ability to ban anyone from their threads...
    • ET management makes the decision whom to allow the ability to protect their threads from those already on someone's ignore/block list. It's no different from ET management making the decision to ban someone from another members thread.
    I'm talking about a thread specific ban that's currently only used by ET management...its not well known as if its some sort'uv secret ban tool.

By the way, people given a thread-specific ban still have the ability to complain to ET management or question ET management about being banned from someone's thread that had them on ignore/block. :rolleyes:

wrbtrader

#14     Jun 7, 2022
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

A simple solution is that when someone "blocks" you...a thread-specific ban is then activated that prevents the user from posting in your thread considering it's that user that initiated the block...

The auto thread-specific ban will also prevent the user from accidentally posting in your thread when the user replies to someone in your thread without realizing it's a thread by someone that was blocked.

It's happened to me a few times when I would reply to someone that I have a direct link to their message posts...a person not on my ignore/block list.

I reply to the person to later discover I'm replying to someone that posted a message in a thread by someone else that is on my block list.

Simply, our blocks should be self-bans from the threads of those we block. In addition, a record is maintained of time/date someone blocks another user name and then removes the block to make it easier for ET management to see if there's any abuse of the self-bans (block) feature.

wrbtrader

#15     Jun 7, 2022
  6. I see this thread has really captured wrbtrader's interest. Quite Ironic, given that he has me on ignore on and off for over a year yet continues to post on my Possible Election Fraud in Progress thread. wrbtrader's last post on my thread was June 12th, 2022, yet WRB's first post to this thread was 6-3-2022.

To be fair, I've used the glitch myself to post on a thread of a member who had blocked me. However, I when I did so, I didn't disparage or contradict the OP's post, rather I helped support the OP's idea or add some perceived needed detail.

While I've complained about the block then post in OP's thread issue in the past, I have gotten over it. As far as WRBtrader is concerned, eyeroll. No official complaint, except perhaps how this post might be interpreted, will be forthcoming.

#16     Jun 17, 2022
  7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Here's a visual presentation of the problem that Millionaire and Baron do not understand based on the first two replies in this thread...

Millionaire - Wants the person that's blocking him to get an alert that the person is about to post in a thread of someone (e.g. Millionaire) that's on his/her block list.

Baron - Thinks the person is only able to reply to a block person's thread by intentionally taking the person off the block and then replying in the thread to then put the person back on the block list.

In many instances what Baron views as the problem is not what's happening as shown in my own situation in the below visual presentation of the glitch #1 and glitch #2...the two glitches that I'm aware of.

Note: I've had several conversations with Baron in the past (private messages) to try to explain the glitch but I don't think he understands the problem based upon his reply to Millionaire. Hopefully, the below visual images will explain it better than what I said to Baron in private message many many months ago.

---------

First, Millionaire is not on my block list nor is gwb-trading. Yet, I follow the message posts by gwb-trading and it's that "following" that's causing the two glitches that Baron does not understand.

In fact, I follow the messages of 17 user names. Thus, I have a direct link to their profile and can click on their profile without needing to log in or I can just log in and then click on a direct link to their message posts that I want to reply to.

Most of my messages are to people I follow about specific topics. Simply, I don't reply to every one of their messages because the topic is not one of my interests.

wrbtrader-Posting-Habit-Visual-Explanation.png

wrbtrader-Posting-Habit-Visual-Explanation-1.png

wrbtrader-Posting-Habit-Visual-Explanation-2.png

Can you see that the above screen becomes less transparent as I'm about to log-in. Yet, I can still see gwb-trading messages.

Now something strange happens as shown in the below image...the link for gwb-trading messages does in fact change. Next, suddenly his message posts disappear after I log-in. I now see the "Elite Trader - Error" message but that's because the link changed on its own.
    • The link changed for someone NOT on my ignore/block list...it changed for someone I follow.
    Not a problem because I have saved in my browser a direct link to gwb-trading "profile"...not to his direct messages.

wrbtrader-Posting-Habit-Visual-Explanation-4.png

After clicking on gwb-trading profile link (not the link to a list of his message posts)...I can see his messages again (see the below image).

wrbtrader-Posting-Habit-Visual-Explanation-3.png

wrbtrader-Posting-Habit-Visual-Explanation-5.png

The below image is an example of glitch #2 involving the last poster of the thread AFTER I've logged and decided to respond to someone else that's NOT on my block list but has a message post before the last message post of the thread by someone that is in fact on my ignore/block list...

The key is the "reply button" as shown by the blocked person. If I want to reply to that person. I can quote the person directly and then reply directly to that message post. This is something I've never done because I recognize the username on my block list but I have instead replied to someone else in the thread via a direct link to the message post that's not blocked.
    • Once again, I'm posting this message in Millionaire's thread...he's not on my block list.
    This ability is only available if someone on my block is the last person to reply in the thread...a thread I may be subscribed too or following someone else in that thread that's not on my block list.

wrbtrader-Posting-Habit-Visual-Explanation-6.png

I've now explained this in many different ways along with an exact visual presentation of the glitches and if Baron still does not understand the complaints by others like Millionaire...he'll never get it.

If the above block poster was the person that created this thread...I would not know it because I'm replying to someone (e.g. Millionaire) I can then use the link in the person's profile to respond to any of their messages that are of interest to me to for a reply.
    • By the way, Millionaire is not on my ignore/block list and he's not someone that I follow.
    Summary: There's a glitch between those you block and others that you follow with direct link to their profile regardless if you're logged in or out...when two different groups of people (block and follow) are posting in the same thread of one of the two groups.

The other glitch occurs when someone that you block is in fact the current "last message" post in the thread.

I think the flaw is the assumption that ALL members are first logging in to then decide which threads to read or which message post to reply to.

In contrast, there are many members that use direct links to those that they follow to then respond to their message posts or many members subscribe to threads that are one of their key topics of interest. This is a way to ignore the noise being posted by others.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    #17     Jun 18, 2022
  8. Millionaire

Millionaire

Another glitch i found yesterday, i put JackMorgan on complete block.

But i could still see all this threads, although his posts on those threads were hidden.

I could easily reply on his threads even though i have him on block.

#18     Jun 18, 2022
  9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Yeah, that's happen to me too but I think the forum has a "cache" issue with the ignore/block of the forum as if the forum has a a refresh time cycle with its cache.

Thus, in a few hours or maybe days...those you put on block today will consistently be blocked in a few hours or days from today.

Simply, the username you block will eventually be block but not always when you first initiate the block. It's like a 1/2 block or something...my last image in my prior message post shows a "block person" but I can not see the context of their message post.

Funny things then happen...if you were to reply to that person...I can see your message posts but you'll look "crazy" as if you're talking to yourself when in fact you're talking to someone on my block list.

I would only know what's really going on if I were to log out.

The ghost poster only appears to me if they're the Last Poster and if you don't reply to them. Other days, I can not see their message post even when they're the last poster. That's why I say there's a cache problem with the ignore/block function.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    #19     Jun 18, 2022
  10. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Reminder - You can even read the hidden post of someone on your block list if they're the current "last poster" in your thread or in the thread of someone else by simply clicking on the "reply button" without even submitting a reply...
    • It will show the message post content of the person on your block list.
    I only keep mentioning these glitches in the threads of others complaining about it because often ET management seems to not understand the poster's explanation and instead think its someone abusing the block feature when in fact its a glitch that allows us to reply to someone we respect that is posting in someone's thread that we don't respect and on our block list.

The abuse of the block occurs if you were to reply to the current "last poster".

Yet, the blocked idiot thinks your reply to another user in their thread is you taking the block user off ignore/block when in fact you're directly replying to someone posting in a thread that the forum code takes you directly to the message post without showing you the entire thread unless you manually scroll up to see the entire thread and the name of the thread starter...as shown below.

The forum code takes me directly to the poster I respect...

wrbtrader-Posting-Habit-Visual-Explanation-8.png

Yet, if I were to manually scroll up to view ALL message posts in the thread...I will then be able to see that the thread was created by a troll that's on my ignore/block list. The below thread is a simple example because it's only one page.

Shown two posters in the below image are not on my ignore/block but the thread starter is on my block list. His message posts are not shown while other's in a different thread and on my block list...I can see their user name posting but the content of their message is hidden (not shown).

wrbtrader-Posting-Habit-Visual-Explanation-7.png
    I no longer complain to ET management about this problem with the ignore/block now that I have a complete understanding of the glitches because I'm assuming after all of these complaints by others too and the problem still is not fixed... it's because the problem can not be fixed. Maybe it requires too much re-coding to fix.

I myself have a big ignore/block list that I do not remember every single username on my ignore/block except for a few special ones. Most do not post here at the forum anymore but I keep them on the ignore/block list just in case they rise up again out of the shadows of ignorance.

Unfortunately, many users do not understand these glitches in the ignore/block and they should be informed about using the ignore/block feature when those you follow and those you block are posting in the same thread or are the current "last message post" in a thread.

More importantly, the problem becomes much bigger for those that first read the forum while not logged in. The problem can be minimized by requiring registration or logging in prior to being able to view the forum...the latter is not a solution for a forum like ET.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    #20     Jun 19, 2022