Stop-loss: Trail or not?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Ates, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Overnight

Overnight

GAH, exactly! That Is what I was grappling with every day with these ideas, but then 2017 happened and I started swinging and abandoned these strats, because it was all golden Hostess cakes with no Drakes devil-dogs ruining the bull party.

Now I crave a Ho-Ho. :-(

#41     Dec 2, 2019
  2. Overnight

Overnight

Well, I screwed this one up, because I realized my trail was not working on the second contract. So I moved stop number 2 to the BE point...Then realized that I do not have a trail on the second contract.

simple strat stop2.JPG

It still worked...

K, I entered it again on another account.

I am trying to figure out now why the hell I set up the strat this way when I came up with it like 3 years ago. What the hell were the market conditions back then that made me make this? Oi!

#42     Dec 2, 2019
  3. Yep, because guess what. After you put the position on, neither of us have no idea/certainty what Mr.Market wants to do. We can only simply manage the position.

#43     Dec 2, 2019
  4. Overnight

Overnight

Mother fucker, this latest one working also. See? All that matters is the entry. Grrrr.

#44     Dec 2, 2019
  5. Overnight

Overnight

If anyone ever held a contest for super sim traders, I'd be in the top tier man. Simple stupid stuff.

#45     Dec 2, 2019
  6. Where did you get the profit target 6, 16, and 100 from?

In addition, where did you get the stop loss 24, 25, and 27 from?

#46     Dec 2, 2019
  7. Overnight

Overnight

The profit targets were based on calculations of how much risk to take based on movement pre 2017, and during 2017. It had to do with expected market movement over the course of a day. Those times are gone.

The stops are split like that because of the software. In NT7, 3 stops at the same price will be gelled into one line on the chart-trader

With the slightly different stops, I can slide each stop where I want.

And the 100-tick target is just the "runner" contract. It is currently "running", up 4 points so far from the stop-target trail.

#47     Dec 2, 2019
  8. Overnight

Overnight

It just closed out. This is how it looks when you get the direction right...

simple strat stop3.JPG

But get the direction wrong and it will fuck you at the drive through.

#48     Dec 2, 2019
  9. imjohn

imjohn

If I'm running both exit methods concurrently, with half-size allotted to each, I treat them as separate trades. One doesn't have any bearing on the other.

Example if I was trading 10 lots

5 contracts - normal entry, normal fixed target/stop. 1.5:1 reward to risk
    5 contracts - normal entry, trailing exit.. I dont look to get out at breakeven, I go out wherever my trailing method dictates, sometimes that's at breakeven or below, but breakeven is not something I target or think about.

Normally, I just trade one of the two methods (prefer the one with fixed targets as it's easy to trade), but I trade the two methods concurrently (1/2 size each) at times when the market is calm). I do like the results, but it's more work.

#49     Dec 2, 2019
    SimpleMeLike likes this.
  10. imjohn,

How did you determine that your stop loss and and profit target will always be 1.5 : 1 (reward to risk)? Was this determined via back testing or just strictly personal risk and reward setting you chose for comfort, etc?

#50     Dec 2, 2019