Stop-loss: Trail or not?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Ates, Nov 24, 2019.

1. tomorton

tomorton

Yes and No. Yes I do cut the losers and also add to the winners and also repeat them as the trend progresses. (no trend, no trade)

But No, in the sense that if I could only see a 50:50 opportunity based on historic performance of a chart feature, I wouldn't enter in the first place.

#21     Nov 25, 2019
    qlai likes this.
  2. Morning bone and thank you,

I appreciate the comments. Very logical and I like the thought of high probability/percentage trades.

I agree, I only look for 1-2 intraday trades per day. Trades are only high probability with trend.

Would you say trading reversals are high percentage trades?

#22     Nov 25, 2019
  3. bone

bone

I will trade any market circumstance provided that my indicator package and rules conditions are satisfied.

#23     Nov 25, 2019
  4. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

try trading multiples of 2 or more if possible, taking quicker profit on first unit and allowing the second part a chance to be a larger winner. Of course depends on logic, backtesting and much more.

#24     Dec 2, 2019
    yc47ib and SimpleMeLike like this.
  5. Good advice,

What is your opinion or advice on if the trader has not advanced yet to 2 contracts, and still stuck on trading 1 contract?

I would like to do the 2 contracts (1 off at fixed target and trail the other), but still trying to get profitable with 1.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    #25     Dec 2, 2019
  6. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

micros?

#26     Dec 2, 2019
    SimpleMeLike likes this.
  7. bone

bone

Going from one contract to two is the most difficult sizing change in trading. I tell my clients to build account equity up to the point where personal comfort accommodates the bump. Going from 2 to 3 is not nearly so difficult.

#27     Dec 2, 2019
  8. Thanks bone,

For me, trading one contract is very challenging.

Why is going from one contract to 2 contract so difficult from your experience?

Thanks

#28     Dec 2, 2019
  9. imjohn

imjohn

1 to 2 is tough because it's the only time you are compelled to double down.

2 to 3, 3 to 4, 4 to 5, get's easier and easier.

Churning out 500 ticks with 1 ES, then doubling down and hitting a statistically expected 100+ tick losing streak right off the bat with 2 ES, can be a demoralizing experience.

#29     Dec 2, 2019
    yc47ib, bone and SimpleMeLike like this.
  10. imjohn

imjohn

OP, I have two methods. One has fixed stops and targets and the other utilizes a clearly defined trailing exit.

Both do well over the long run, but some periods the fixed stop/target outperforms, and other times the trailing method outperforms. I would be ok running either method alone, and I favor the fixed stop/target. But I can also halve up size into each and run both methods concurrently. This smooths out the overall results a bit, but it's more work and takes more focus to execute.

#30     Dec 2, 2019
    SimpleMeLike likes this.