Stop-loss order with automatically adjusted order quantity

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by PBS, Jul 9, 2022.

1. PBS

PBS

Is anyone aware of a futures trading platform that would automatically place a stop-loss (stop market order) and then, also automatically, reduce the quantity of this stop market order to keep it in line with the current position size?

Example:
    1. the account is flat
    2. a trader places a buy market order for 10 contracts
    3. a stop-loss (stop market order) for 10 contracts is submitted automatically at the average position price minus 10 points
    4. a trader places a sell market order for 3 contracts
    5. the platform automatically reduces the stop market order quantity to 7 contracts, etc.
    6. the process is repeated until either the position is closed manually by the trader or stopped out.

Does anything like this exist?

2. I think SierraChart does this, look into "scaling in/out of positions"

schizo likes this.
  3. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

IB TWS has this in the presets:

upload_2022-7-9_14-9-10.png

4. hilmy83

hilmy83

That is literally what all platforms do. Why would a stop keep original size if positions is reduced

5. This is not what he is asking for.

He is saying:

I put in an order for 10 contracts, and have a stop.

I take 5 contracts off.

I want the stop quantity on the existing stop order to be automatically modified to now have a quantity of 5.

I do not believe IBKR does this. The functionality you are referring to is a feature for order creation.

6. SunTrader

SunTrader

TradeStation

7. schizo

schizo

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  8. By the way, this reminds me...

I actually wrote some code to do this automatically for IBKR. So if I have a stop for a contract, it waits for position changes, waits for a few seconds, then updates the stop with the new position size.

9. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

Actually I think it does work, BUT, you have to use the "Close Position" function-call. I have done it (100x) though the hot keys when manually trading.

10. Like I said, it's only for NEW orders. It does not update existing orders.

#10     Jul 10, 2022