Stop Loss Hunters?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by matador04, Mar 24, 2010.

1. you are right about the volume, But the volume you are referring to follows the big board in CME floor and like I said, this does not happen often. Specially within recent years as the electronic trading is getting more advanced.

#21     Mar 24, 2010
  2. The tail wags the dog which wags the tail.:D

#22     Mar 24, 2010
  3. Can you shoot through the link? I'd love to have a read

#23     Mar 25, 2010
  4. nLepwa

nLepwa

It depends on what you do.

If you use an automated strategy with a well defined and stable distribution of returns you might need fixed stoplosses when you enter your trade in order to define your maximum risk (ex. 1% of capital).
    This then allows you to provide statistical guarantees based on your distribution of returns (ex. 99% confidence no losing month).

#24     Mar 25, 2010
  5. Myth. They can see how many waiting buy/sell orders are sitting at each tick. Its not rocket science. So can you. Seriously, paranoia is not a good way to be trading.

#25     Mar 25, 2010
  6. I agree about giving a trade time. It's very difficult to get entry timing perfect, which is basically what you're asking for with a hard, tight, initial stop loss.

I've heard of other people also placing this "catastrophic" stop loss. While I don't believe there is any harm in this, I don't think it's useful either. Think about the circumstances under which your catastrophic stop loss would be triggered. Likely a major news event, that moves price in one direction very, very quickly. In this type of environment, your stop loss is more than likely to incur significant slippage due to the quick movements. Like I said, no harm done, but I don't see this as being any different from closing the position with a market order as price moves against you. Unless you are not actively watching the trade or something to that effect, in which case I suppose it would be useful.

#26     Mar 25, 2010
  7. It's a VERY long read. Literally took months of reading, but was well worth it. Look up the thread "Technical Analysis Fallacy" on forexfactory.com

#27     Mar 25, 2010
  8. Good info, guys. Thanks...I didn't think that there was some big conspiracy, just that sometimes weak traders show weakness and their stronger counterparts capitalize on those weaknesses.

#28     Mar 25, 2010
  9. ronblack

ronblack

I am a stop loss hunter. Do you have any problems with that?

#29     Mar 25, 2010
  10. we r All coming for your TraDinG AcC0unt!

#30     Mar 25, 2010