stop loss determination

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Buy1Sell2, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

ok--so you wait for entry that enables you to do that. Is that area generally at the top of congestion or outside it as well from your experience. Sounds like you fade , is that right?

#11     Jan 26, 2006
  2. About noise, you need to investigate about volatility bands and ATR (Average True Range). They give you statistical data to avoid the noise. But it is no holly grail. Just a statistical edge.

#12     Jan 26, 2006
  3. gnome

gnome

There used to be some, but now they're all living under the viaduct and collecting aluminum cans for wine money.

#13     Jan 26, 2006
  4. I don't. My rationale ? Maths and probabilities...

#14     Jan 26, 2006
  5. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

when you don't use stops, do you have a mental area that you intend to get out or only when your indicators show that the move will continue in the unfavorable direction?

#15     Jan 26, 2006
  6. Stops don't bring anything to most distributions of returns you can meet. They can bring something in some very particular cases like bimodal distributions for example.

I change direction when my indicator tells me to.

#16     Jan 26, 2006
  7. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Are you using a small position so as to not be wiped out or do your indicators generally "stop" you out before you lose say 20% of portfolio.

#17     Jan 26, 2006
  8. Skip trades that do not fit in your risk parameter

That would be the correct vehicle :D

#18     Jan 26, 2006
  9. cnms2

cnms2

I always use a stop loss based on chart analysis. It is intended for protection, and it is rarely hit. I use it for position sizing and consider it for reward / risk analysis.

Calculating your stop loss by starting from your account is like trying to force the market to do what you need, and it won't work.

#19     Jan 26, 2006
  10. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Does position sizing mean that you are actually using a combination of the two ie that the position is related to your account size?

#20     Jan 27, 2006