Stop giving money to Haiti!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by peilthetraveler, Jan 26, 2010.

1. wutang

wutang

It's hard to do that when you've got the CIA backing dicatotors and instigating coups...

#11     Jan 26, 2010
  2. Typical response from someone that is ignorant of history:

A significant portion of the economic, social and political predicament in Haiti can be traced to the decline of its agriculture sector. Up to about 30 years ago, Haiti was self sufficient in the production of rice, the varieties of which are believed to have been brought from Africa and are quite different from those varieties we plant in Guyana. The domestic production of this staple food of the Haitians started to decline in the mid-1980s mainly as a result of the adoption of trade liberalization policies imposed upon the country. In 1986, after the expulsion of Haitian dictator Jean Claude ‘Baby Doc’ Duvalier the International Monetary Fund (IMF) loaned Haiti US$24.6M in desperately needed funds (Baby Doc had raided the treasury on the way out). But, in order to get the IMF loan, Haiti was required to reduce tariff protections for their Haitian rice and other agricultural products and some industries to open up the country’s markets to competition from outside countries. The US has by far the largest voice in decisions of the IMF.

By 1988, so much American rice had invaded the country that it became unprofitable for many Haitian farmers to continue planting. The US rice farmers were enjoying subsidies totalling around US$1B per year while those in Haiti got nothing substantial from their often puppet-like and unstable governments.

http://www.stabroeknews.com/2010/letters/01/21/trade-liberalization-killed-haiti’s-rice-industry/

Here's another history of Haiti - and how it was manipulated by France and the US, so decades later, a stuck up American snob like you can look down on them.

http://www.countercurrents.org/quigley170110.htm

#12     Jan 26, 2010
  3. these shitholes of the world all have one thing in common. they are all very religious. haiti is 95% christian and 80% catholic. is overpopulation any surprize in an anti birth control catholic dominated nation?

#13     Jan 26, 2010
  4. the1

the1

How can you put a dollar value on the human life that was lost or affected there? This should rank up there as one of the worst posts of 2010.

#14     Jan 26, 2010
  5. Thats a reason I can understand. But I cant stand all these people pretending to be humanitarians just because everyone else is giving. What i am saying is there are alot of people suffering in this world and to give ALL of your donations to one people is just ridiculous. Most people are only giving money to Haiti because the media is telling them to give money to haiti. They did not care about Haiti before the they were in the news. Look at the typhoon in the philippines that did all that damage. It did not make front page headlines and so many people lost everything over there. If you want to help people in this world, help people that nobody is giving to. Go out and find these groups that do not have the benefit of national media attention. There are people hurting in this world just as much as Haiti, but many are not going to get funds this month because people that normally give on a regular basis are now giving their money to Haiti. Haiti has been given enough. Give others a helping hand. You democrats love to spread the wealth, so why dont you do it?

Its like imagine 2 guys living in an area where there is a fire. One guy loses his house and the other guy loses 50% of his house, but maybe only 1 room is liveable and he has no running water or electricity. Everyone feels sorry for the guy that lost his entire house so they give him enough money to build a new house, get him new furniture and even buy him a brand new car. The guy that only lost half his house, well they buy him a cup of coffee and a donut because the media didnt tell you about him and you didnt care enough to look at his house or his situation.

I am all for giving, and i probably give more than most of you on here to different charities. I think its much better to give $100 bucks to 5 different charities than $500 bucks to one charity. And right now everyone is giving all their money to one charity.

Any MORE money you give to Haiti right now, is not going to help them any more. However, giving money to a smaller charity will help so much more.

#15     Jan 26, 2010
  6. No they arent. Half practice voodoo regularly. Just because someone says they are christian or catholic doesnt make them one. Look at the history of haiti and how they became catholics. They only did it so they could pretend to worship the saints, but instead worshiped their own gods that they had in africa. That practice is still there.

#16     Jan 26, 2010
  7. 1) Religion takes the place of education, leading to illiteracy and innumeracy.
    2) Aren't you Asian? You're supposed to be "good" at math. :)

#17     Jan 26, 2010
  8. Hilarious, isn't it? This guy has no shame.

#18     Jan 26, 2010
  9. Oh, the irony.

#19     Jan 26, 2010
  10. clacy

clacy

I do not agree with his point, but the population can be 95% Christian and 80% Catholic.

Most people refer to Catholicism as a Christian denomination. Some do not believe it is however, so technically you both could be right depending on what your beliefs are.

#20     Jan 26, 2010