Stop Banning Trolls

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by macal425, Mar 17, 2009.

1. It's been obvious for a long while that there is absolutely no point in banning a username. The person just uses an alias and continues on his merry way. IMO, it would be better to never ban a username and let the ignore function work the way that it is intended. I have been around ET for a long while, but only recently started using the ignore function. It really does clean the site up for the user, but having to put every new username of the same people on ignore, every time they create an alias, kinda defeats the purpose. It's not the username that trolls, it's the person behind the username. If you can't get rid of the troll completely, there's no point in banning a random collection of letters that make up a username.

2. I agree 100%

This is why I wanted trader28 to be given back his original nick and given free reign. If people don't like him, they can take advantage if ET's excellent ignore feature. But whenever he creates a new nick, it's Impossible at first to identify him.

p.s. I'm not knocking you t28, I'm just simply pointing out that banning you is pointless and cpunterproductive.

And thanks for calling out that Swordshit guy in the other thread. I never would have been able to identify him on my own. Keep up the good work!

3. IP bans should eliminate repeat offenders

4. Excellent idea. However, I believe that being able to show more registered users increases Baron's bottom line. I could be wrong, but certainly he doesn't police the site as some of us would wish simply because page views are $$ for him. Maybe total usernames are also $$ for him.

And yes, the ignore list is invaluable for me too.