Stony's Saturday Reader*

Discussion in 'Trading' started by stonedinvestor, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Ok SIRF fans we are approaching the moment of truth A nice 50 cent dip as the lawsuits- class action- roll in, providing us the vacume needed and with the Google Phone announcement later this week I believe do we dare take the chance?

SIRF is a partner with Google but they are no guarantees. It probably does no good to small boat this ... this is a ball call big bet sort of situation...
    Read this and stop me if you can.~stoney

SiRF targets GPhone with new multifunction platform

Junko Yoshida
    Courtesy of EE Times
    (02/08/2008 10:18 AM EST)

PARIS — SiRF Technology Inc., often viewed by its competitors as a one-trick pony focused solely on GPS, has entered the competitive multimedia phone race, rolling out a new multifunction platform called SiRFprima.

Building on its heavy-duty location engine, SiRF engineers integrated into the new platform an ARM11 core, a game-grade 3D graphics core from Imagination Technologies and other multimedia processing capabilities.

The move injects SiRF into a market traditionally dominated by Qualcomm, Texas Instruments and Broadcom.

SiRF also hopes to leverage its position as a development partner for Google's GPhone, Android. SiRF describes its specialty as folding "location-awareness" features into mobile devices.

SiRF (San Jose, Calif.) is betting on a scenario in which location-based multimedia applications such as 3D maps will become fashionable in cellphones and portable location devices.

The company hopes another advantage will be that SiRFprima's multifunction engines can be "all tuned to run in harmony," said Kanwar Chadha, founder and vice president of marketing. By contrast, many of its competitors tend to offer separate, dedicated function chips for GPS, multimedia processing and video decoding, although their partitioning varies, Chadha said.

When folded into location-based services, 3G graphics becomes a "must-have" element, Chadha maintained.

Still, the GPS "attach rate" in mobile handsets remains relatively low. While 70 percent of Qualcomm-supplied CDMA phones come with GPS, the navigation service is found in "less than 10 percent" of GSM phones, Chadha said. "But that's changing very quickly," he added.

Beyond the Gphone, Nokia recently bought Navteq Corp. with a plan to move into the GPS and mapping services. SiRF's competitors, including NXP Semicondutors, Broadcom and CSR, have been also on a GPS shopping spree.

The SiRFprima processor provides GPS location performance, including 64 channels with -161 dB sensitivity. Further, the new engine is capable of simultaneously working with GPS and European Galileo systems.

The platform's hardware-accelerated 3D graphics and multimedia encoding and decoding engines are based on the PowerVR MBX 3D graphics accelerator core, vertex geometry processor and PowerVR MVED1 video encode/decode accelerator from Imagination Technologies.

Chadha noted that SiRF has been quietly developing a wide range of multimedia and SoC capabilities over the last few years. Its strategy is to move beyond GPS.

SiRF's acquisitions include: Impulse Soft, for its Bluetooth stack; Kiesel Microelectronics of Sweden, a developer of multifunction radio capabilities designed by ex-Ericsson engineers; TrueSpan, for its mobile TV tuner and diversity OFDM engine; and Centrality Communications, which has SoC expertise to build functions around GPS engines.

Of its 750 employees, SiRF now has 150 working in India, 150 in Shanghai, China, and 35 in Sweden, The rest are based in North America.

Just as Qualcomm used its baseband modem as "an anchor" and Broadcom boosted sales with its communication engines, Chadha said SiRF's goal is to use its location engine to develop a platform for convergence devices.

SiRFprima will be demonstrated at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next week. SiRF will begin sampling the platform in the second quarter of 2008.

#41     Feb 11, 2008
  2. OK I DID IT I DID IT I DID IT I BOUGHT A FREAKIN STOCK!

CCC CALGON TAKE ME F*ing away $16.70' ish this morning- little nibble there but the huge lot just now as we are breaking away folks!!!! ME LUVEE THIS CHART LONG TIME! Well that's it, I'm back in the game. I've been so frozen with fear tyhe past month I have done nothing but sit on my hands. Now in the face of danger I spit. I've called my people and am buying in size again! Not SERF though... still need a better lead on the google phone.... common somebody knows out there, watch them not be in it and the last remaining shareholders sell it down to $5 that would be very me. Anyway I did the smart thing I bought the one going north. ~ that's what Saturday readers are for..... to help us focus and sort....strong start and fade on CREE today, watching closely... ~stoney

#42     Feb 11, 2008
  3. EMKOR SURGES $1 off low!

I'm in for a thousand sweet Jesus save me!!!!!

They are splitting their solar unit by the way did we mention that? ~ stoney

#43     Feb 11, 2008
  4. VISION-SCIENCES INC DEL COM (VSCI: NASDAQ)
    Healthcare : Medical Equipment & Supplies
    Last Price Today's Change Bid (Size) Ask (Size) Volume Trade
    3.95 +0.55 (+16.18%)...... let's watch this one folks. there product combines a bunch of stuff onto one thingemagiggy that they jam into your chest. I'll be more specific later... this is looking like a serious break out to me when you combine the reaction to the FDA clearance last week. I have to double check my numbers here these guys may make money too! ~ stoney

#44     Feb 11, 2008
  5. how bout CRM right here stoney? at 55?

#45     Feb 11, 2008
  6. There Goes Akami! Is it just me folks or are there a few things to buy out there!!!!

AKAM 33.80 +1.46 (4.51%)....

Warrior check this out sounds like too much competition for CRM- ~ stoney
    “Plugged In” column out saying that 2 of the most outrageously priced software stocks around are Salesforce (CRM) and Concur (CNQR). Both are vastly more expensive than Apple (AAPL) and Microsoft (MSFT). That's partly b/c the 2 upstarts have big growth ahead of them, with analysts projecting 49% rev growth this year for Salesforce and 25% for Concur. But it's also b/c until recently, their stocks were the only game in town for investors who wanted a piece of the action in "software as a service." But suddenly, there's company. Joining Salesforce and Concur are Netsuite (N) and SuccessFactors (SFSF). Both Netsuite and SuccessFactors sell programs very similar to Salesforce's. And there's no shortage of hopefuls who've filed with the SEC to join Salesforce and Concur in the mkt. Among them: Varolii. It claims six of the US' 10 largest banks as customers. It filed in September to go public. In a sign some are already trying to specialize in a crowded mkt, Convio is aiming its customer-relations software specifically at nonprofits, whose "customers" are their donors. Its IPO prospectus lists Goldman as leading the deal. Even if there are many ways to slice the pie there's still going to be fierce jockeying among these Web-software firms to claim title to the best on-demand investment.

#46     Feb 11, 2008
  7. CALLING ALL SHORTS CALLING ALL SHORTS YOUR CREE IS BEING TOWED IN THE PARKING LOT - TO A BETTER PLACE WOW! $1 now from a multi year high how can that be in this market???

New Leaders Emerge-

Cree & Emkor Canadian Solar still rips and looking now ant ole fave YGE' , that's ramping too.

Akam. Lets slide that into the base of our pyramid now so it's CREE & AKAM & CCC and then in smaller lots as you move up SYNA, GHDX, SIGM...

LOOKING AT Yinglee Green here and I still haven't popped up cryolife yet, this is turning into a real good day. ~ stoney

#47     Feb 11, 2008
  8. Mumbo Jumbo from TacticalTrading-

The odds favor the January lows being broken in the weeks / months ahead. Cycle work is suggestive of more constructive action on a near-term basis. The SPX is still holding that 62% line: If we have a five wave move lower then a strong argument can be made that we are now in a 3 wave A B C rebound with the "B" wave finishing out on Friday. That leaves in the early stages of a C wave, which isn't likely to be too long. It does setup rally potential in line with the lessening longer-term cycle pressures over the course of the week ahead.

1320 remains the key support line to watch, the 62% retracement line. Break there and it is a quick move to 1300, the all important 76% line. A close above the zone of resistance, 1332 � 1338 on Monday will set a more positive tone with potential all the way up to Stony's target of 1350. The NASD bounced off its Fibonacci 76% retracement line on Thursday and now the question is whether it is going to break it or not, and when. NO!

On a near-term basis the stage is set for a rebound that could easily eclipse the February highs.:eek:

#48     Feb 11, 2008
  9. Well as promised I have exited CHDX because two times before I have failed to take profits- now of course it will really tear~stoney

#49     Feb 11, 2008
  10. Wow I'm frfeakin out the font on the whole Elite Trader site & the layout just changed before my eyes. But I'm suspect because when I went to a trading site I got a new warning about needing additional plug in crap. This is all after my 4 year old has been tooling on the noggin.com. damn.

Company
    Akamai Technologies, Inc. NASDAQ AKAM 34.01 +1.67 (5.16%) 5.66B
    VNUS Medical Technologies, Inc. NASDAQ VNUS 17.66 +0.98 (5.88%) 275.76M
    Vision-Sciences, Inc. NASDAQ VSCI 3.81 +0.41 (12.06%) 134.36M
    Calgon Carbon Corporation NYSE CCC 17.99 +1.26 (7.53%) 728.11M

~ luv stoney

#50     Feb 11, 2008