Stony's Saturday Reader*

Discussion in 'Trading' started by stonedinvestor, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Stoned Investor pick #3 in January --- AMSC
    Bought @26
    Currently 19.43

I have faith

cheers!

#11     Feb 9, 2008
  2. decent support around 48 IMHO

#12     Feb 9, 2008
  3. Yes yes AMSC I know I know... not one of my better moments but a stock that rewarded me in the past so I am sticking with it too. ~ stoney

#13     Feb 9, 2008
  4. Jan 23 little blurb about Calgon by Zack's-

Momentum - Calgon Carbon Corporation CCC

Calgon Carbon Corporation is in the right industry at the right time. The company recently swung to a profit after posting a strong quarterly performance that handily exceeded analyst estimates, registering earnings of 10 cents against the expected six cents. The company's three-year earnings growth trajectory is a very smooth upward trend, which means this company's longer-term earnings forecast is headed in the right direction.

Take me away... this is going to be my big boy buy Monday I can feel it...

Good newsflow too- Removed from Naked short list get's $9 mil in a settlement expanding production... everything but ability to get financing... working on that. ~ stoney

Company News
    BUYINS.NET: CCC, CDE, GNA, LEV, EVEP, PINN Have Been Removed From Naked Short List Today
    1/28/2008 5:24:29 AM
    CCC: Agrees to $9.25M Settlement
    1/22/2008 8:53:55 AM
    Calgon Carbon Corporation to receive USD9.25m settlement
    1/22/2008 5:14:21 AM
    Calgon Carbon to Receive Settlement of $9.25 Million
    1/21/2008 4:49:00 PM
    *CALGON CARBON GAINS 6.4%; TO RESTART IDLE PRODUCTION LINE
    1/16/2008 10:58:02 AM
    Calgon Carbon to expand carbon production capacity in $20M project
    1/15/2008 7:17:29 PM
    *CALGON CARBON: $20M EXPANSION PROJECT TO BE COMPLETED IN EARLY 2009
    1/15/2008 7:11:26 PM
    *CALGON CARBON TO EXPAND CARBON PRODUCTION CAPACITY
    1/15/20

#14     Feb 9, 2008
  5. Not happy just found this @11:40 yesterday ON A FRIDAY jMP securities jumped on the bandwagon with Calgon if i had spotted this I would already be in. This is not an upgrade to help investors it's a validation of the Avondale research & a way of looking good I imagine, or not. JmP is usually decent.

Recent actions-

[CCC] Yesterday 11:21pm
    Calgon Carbon Corporation Price Target raised to $20 from $17 at JMP Securities; Maintains market outperform rating

[CCC] 2/7/2008 10:05am
    Calgon Carbon Corporation UPDATE: Avondale Partners Initiates CCC with Market Outperform, price target: $19 - pre-open

[CCC] 1/23/2008 09:09am
    Calgon Carbon Corporation Sidoti Initiates CCC with Buy

#15     Feb 9, 2008
  6. Tough to find info on the anti-Botox play by Artes, working on it..

ArteFill Dermal Filler by Artes Medical (ARTE)

ArteFill, made by San Diego, CA-based Artes Medical, removes facial wrinkles. The injectable gel is a combination of homogeneous precision-filtered microspheres suspended in a solution of purified bovine collagen and 0.3% lidocaine to alleviate discomfort during injection. Aesthetic results are visible immediately after injection.

Since scavenger cells (macrophages) cannot be degraded by enzymes, the microspheres remain intact beneath the creases, providing a permanent support structure to the wrinkle, preventing further wrinkling.

In October 2006, Artes Medical received FDA clearance for ArteFill, making it the first and only approved non-resorbable aesthetic injectable implant.

Artes says this microsphere technology has applications beyond wrinkles — Pre-clinical studies have shown the technology effective at bulking of the esophageal and urinary sphincters, which could prove useful in treating acid reflux and stress urinary incontinence. Boy I get both of those!

The technology also has been evaluated for spinal disk bulking and repair. Additional potential uses include bulking of the soft palate and respiratory tissue to treat sleep apnea, adding cushioning to the bottom of the foot to treat painful foot syndrome, and treating fecal incontinence.....

#16     Feb 9, 2008
  7. In October LSB Industries was trading for $24-$25 dollars and it is $26 today. A lot has happened since Oct wouldn't you say? Sometimes investing is just that easy.

LSB Industries Inc 26.14 0.00
    52wk high: 28.85
    52wk low: 11.85
    EPS: 1.77
    PE: 14.80

Unknown and uncovered this little powerhouse is in two great lines of business- Chemicals & Climate control. It fights against Terra Nitrogen and Potash on the chem side and Carrier and others in the climate control area.

The niche that makes LSB special is their geothermal pumps- I'm really into the geothermal power technology- it works- these guys do mini pumps heat pumps that commercial buildings use tapping energy in the earths core/ crust these pumps cut electricity usage by 60%. So we have a hidden GREEN play, actually they are quite green when you consider that their fertilizer is used for corn and other bio fuel crops. ~ stoney

#17     Feb 9, 2008
  8. EMCORE has historically been considered, and valued as, an optics company. Yet, increasing penetration into the terrestrial solar market could change Wall Street’s perception and valuation of the stock.

Solar companies typically trade at over 5 to 6 times 2008 sales, while EMCORE when it was $11 and change was fetching near 2.5 times. So that yields a price target for me of at least $22.

As the solar business ramps up, the company’s multiple could expand meaningfully. ~ stoney

#18     Feb 9, 2008
  9. This new valve from Cryolife is big because it eliminates the use of cadavers which led to some molding problems (yuck) and lawsuits. The new valve from Atlanta-based CryoLife may lower the risk of rejection. but is best used for children. that's a smaller subset- I'm leaning away from this name.

FDA said the device is the first heart valve made from human tissue which has had the skin cells removed. Normally, when human tissue is removed from a cadaver to make a heart valve it is cleaned to prevent infection, but otherwise remains unchanged.

The CryoValve SynerGraft Pulmonary Valve goes through an extra step to remove tissue cells, leaving a scaffold-like valve, which the FDA said may lower the chance of triggering the body's immune system.

Heart valves made from human tissue are popular with children because they don't require patients to take blood thinners on a long-term basis. Other types of valves are made from pigs or cows.

CryoLife is again facing allegations that it mishandled cadaver tissue. Last month, a patient who contracted an infection after a knee-tissue transplant filed suit against the company.

The patient, Michael Hohenbery, is represented by the same law firm that represented the family of Brian Lykins, a Minnesota man who died in 2001 after receiving an implant from CryoLife during reconstructive knee surgery.

The company settled with the Lykins family for an undisclosed sum in 2004.

CryoLife accused Hohenbery's attorneys at Atlanta-based Keenan Law Firm of making "untrue public statements" to force the company into a monetary settlement.

In August 2002, the Food and Drug Administration ordered the company to stop distribution of cadaver tissue, saying it failed to follow safety procedures to keep tissue free from fungus and bacteria. CryoLife resumed shipping the tissue after an FDA inspection found the problems had been corrected.

#19     Feb 9, 2008
  10. You know what? When you get to the balance sheet Cryolife looks pretty darn good, going from a loss to a gain on their main product BIOGLUE, used instead of stitches...

BioGlue should account for $45 million in sales this year. Analysts believe cosmetic applications are also viable which will boost sales. Three new products are expected from this division: a soft tissue repair implant, a pericardium replacement, and a spinal disc replacement, expected to launch in Europe.

Earnings should be almost 25 cents for a full 07', up from a negative 2 cents last year. In 08 we could see 50 cents a share. Current assets are more than twice current liabilities. They have an earnings update very soon.

This stock sold for $44 a share (adjusted for 3 for 2 split) in 2001!! The price went to all the way down $1.40 in 2002. ~ stoney

#20     Feb 9, 2008