Stoned Update*

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by stonedinvestor, Jan 30, 2012.

1. YM is just sitting there ready to take off, needs to get through that same annoying area but we are right there...

A few other stocks have caught my eye technically...

I have 3 names I'm looking at this week so far- feeling best about this one-

1) RPXC-
    reason: know this name, very good earnings, other patent related stocks VHC & ACTG on the move these guys are the ugly ducklings but there is merit in the chart.

- The 5 day ride for RPXC has been bumpy- a dip from $17.40 to $17.00 where it gapped down Wed Feb 1 to $16.20 where it found a volume stick which righted the ship to $16.80 where it's been drifting up to where it is now $ 17.40....

- Looking at a 6 month chart and overlaying a 20 day and 50 day MA you can see the clear turn up of the shorter average, the 20 day is out performing. The averages first crossed in early Jan when the stock was at $17.00....

- It's rather easy to see that more upside is in order here on RPXC the last time the 20 day and the 50 were merged the stock was $28.00 July 2011.

- using $16.00 support then as your sell zone if the market turns we can construct a good trade by going long RPXC here for a ride to $22.00 area from $17.50.

$1.50 downside vs $4.50 upside ~stoney

2) PRGS- I know nothing about what these guys do. Pure chart pull by the end of the day I will know more.

3) SYNA- The touch people multi year break out that doesn't need a very smart chart reader to interpret. More work on this later.

Lets start by buying RPXC out of the gate and hope YMI moves today.

I'm going to a workout and then a special Wu Shu Energy healing session for my seasonal tune up. Back later. :cool:

#11     Feb 7, 2012
  2. " Listen ,you are babbling on one of my threads.
    ET has but few rules, one of them is when stoney brings an idea to the table it's a good idea to (a) take it seriously and (b) buy it. and (c) don't babble on the thread. ..."

" YM is just sitting there ready to take off............"

S,

babbling is over.....

stony long call feb 2

ym bio @ 2.45 ( top of the chart )

retraced back to 2.12 , new dt at 2.37 and fully diverged.

where is your stop............?

s

#12     Feb 7, 2012
  3. rpxc

long feb 7th @ 17.38

stop and reverse to a short trade at 16.00

long exit door 22.00

correct......?

s

#13     Feb 7, 2012
  4. You bought calls on YMI?... not sure I believe you.

My cost is certainly not $2.40! You ought to put some glasses. My Price target is $3.50 I expect to be there within one month.

I don't use stops, I will recommend a level if one exists, since this is a value call-- rare in biotech-- and I'm familiar with the name, I would free ball it.

I've really been hacking away and selling names that haven't moved enough. I have a lot of cash to deploy and I do want some of that Facebook.

Here are the MFN's Most favored Names, THESE are the LUCKY THIRTEEN stocks of my own choosing that I have added to my managed account at a hedge fund to hopefully goose returns.

AUXL- (have had for a while now and it's been for other shareholders one year @ $20.... I'm afraid to get off because it's base indicates a rocket ship in waiting - but WHEN!)

YMI- (thread starter)

NUAN- ( recent purchase waiting for earn)

RPXC- (yesterday)

INVN- (recent purchase)

ACOM - (recent purchase reversed a bit- may get booted)

IMMR- (1 year holding! But Down!)

LUFK- (PURCHASED AT $71)

SHAW- (PURCHASED AT $28)

ITUB- (PURCHASED AT $ 19.70)

LIFE (1/2 position)

ICON ($18.50-$20 may sell today boredom)

IPGP (problem stock in portfolio big comeback back to even)

#14     Feb 8, 2012
  5. Shopster you know these are not options right!

RPXC WAS BOUGHT JUST YESTERDAY!

YES $16.00 area would be your SELL stop, I'm not saying short it there! In fact I would still hold it. This is a Valentines Day Present for you all! I am exiting around
    mid-feb! @ that mentioned $22.00.

I laid it all out very clearly Shopster may I recommend you smoke a bit to calm down before commenting on things much less trading!

Just a thought. ~stoney

#15     Feb 8, 2012
  6. sparkin' up the pipe ......:)

s

#16     Feb 8, 2012
  7. It really helps.

I made one omission in the holding MHGC which is Morgan's hotel... I had a small position @ $5.50. I just doubled down today@ $5.90...

Obviously there are all sorts of ways of figuring out an idea to buy but one of the least used methods is the Common Sense Method CSM. While watching the TV news last night the topic was the flip flop on Super Pac spending on TV spots for the Dems... This guarantees over the top spending on political ads and got me to thinking besides CBS which I already own are there any other stocks which would benefit from this over the top spending...

VIA & NWS come to mind, as well- further down the chain ideas like Sinclair and for some reason I'm favoring BELO, they have 20 stations 14% of US market no one seems to know that. My job will be to break out locations and see if one of these stocks has concentrated TV station holdings in politically important states... ~stoney

#17     Feb 8, 2012
  8. Belo Corp. (BLC) - "Belo Corp.owns 20 television stations, including ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, and MyNetwork?

> expenses down!
    > $57 mil in political ads states: WA, OR, N, CA, VA....
    > REV down EBIDA down.. that's tv buisness
    > JP Morgan sees more upside PT- $10.00
    > stk is stealth! Up 23% ytd vs S&P up 7%....
    >Wells Fargo PT $10-$11
    >Stk $7.73 now
    > There is some danger to Texas Presidential Primary.. a court delay could push off ad spending.
    > I like BLC's chart better than SBGI.

Sinclair Broadcast Group (SBGI) -

> management " Political spending will be enormous Super Pac money has been an eye opener " from today's conf call... this looks good folks! I think SBGI may be the winner it has a nice yield and many price targts higher heading into al of this political goodness... Core expenses though UP 8% to 13% that's the big negative.
    >Target price raised from $12 to $13.50 Evercore believes add spending from political = $50 mil.
    > They Got FLA! Likely a big spend state ($20 mil opportunity)
    > In my view Would be attractive @ $11.00.

So far leaning towards BLC. ~stoney

#18     Feb 8, 2012
  9. >>>>>>>>>>
    Ok got our natural break out today shopster at one point RPXC hit $20!
    or 15% settling back now up 11% Buy More! WAS THAT YOU WHO DUMPED AT $20!
    I said $22! :p ~si

#19     Feb 10, 2012
  10. SPARKLE UP * STONED UPDATES... RPXC. $RPX Corporation (RPXC) -NasdaqGS
    20.10 0.89(4.63%) BIG VOLUME MOVING NOW ALERT GET IN GET IN!!! WHOOP WHOOP.

Boys at BARCLAYS new PT for RPXC is $22!

Ta da. Now we just have to get there. Company reported today!

16:08
    (RPXC) RPX Corp. sees Q1 revenue $43.7M-$44.1M vs. consensus $45.77M
    16:08
    (RPXC) RPX Corp. sees 2012 revenue $193M-$203M vs. consensus $201M

08:01

(RPXC) RPX Corp. pullback would be buying opportunity, says Cowen
    Cowen said they would be buyers of any pullback in RPX Corp shares. the firm said RPC Corp is a unique high growth story and cited its renewal rate, the monetization of its patents, and its deal with Alcatel Lucent (ALU). Shares are Outperform rated.

I think a good report. they lowered the bar for Q1 but kept out the hope for a slight beat on rev for 2012... the news now is this big Alcatel Lucent deal and what the CEO can churn up about that at the Goldman conference which must be any day now...Goldman upgrade tomorrow most likely.

YMI is just churning here I hope this turns into a coiled spring-- this is where chart reading should pay off news Should come...

I bought Sinclair Broadcasting for the acct at $12.00. Hold this through the election cycle. SBGI

PAR reports tomorrow watching that one.

I bought CLWR today... kind of forced in I had taken a tiny position at $2.05 and left some tripwires in in case I wasn't around... of course I'm probably down now, I'll check the CB... a bit sloppy but I've been busy doing stuff . CearWire.

A stock I have ranked very highly for purchase based on technicals is QLIK...

Not jumping yet... certainly the world's easiest $3 to $33... but market itself is a bit wobbly here.

ANF is staging a RADICAL REVERSAL today... that's a pattern you won't see much a $5 band (45-50) than it broken $5 to the downside... door open everyone out and then shoots up to settle on the upper band... also 50 day ma... watch.~stoney:

#20     Feb 15, 2012