Stockscreener and programmable Chart-/Tradingsoftware needed

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by MarcusR, Aug 28, 2018.

1. MarcusR

MarcusR

Hello guys,

I tested Finviz, Tradingview and many more stock screeners but they don't offer exactly what I need. Therefore I hope someone can help me here. I want to scan all stocks from NYSE and NASDAQ every 5 and 15 minutes. These stocks must fulfil some general requirements like a minimum capitalization of 1B and a minimum price of $10. So far it's easy and this can be done with many stock screeners. But then I would like to add technical criteria like this one: the low of the last 5 minute candle must be below yesterday's low and the upper shadow must be larger than 50% of the whole candle. So the scanner must be able to work with the open/high/low/close of previous candles in different timeframes. I don't know any scanner which can do that although it's not a complex thing...

I looked at Ninjatrader but its programmable scanner can only scan for NASDAQ100 and S&P500 stocks. And that's just 600 stocks instead of all NYSE and NASDAQ stocks.

Maybe somebody could give me an advice which stock screener could do that?

And my second question is about a good Chart-/Tradingplatform. I have an account with IB and their charting software seems to be a bit old-fashioned. I tested Tradingview which was pretty nice but I would like to use a Software which is connected to the IB datafeed and which can also be used for trade executions. The best solution I came across was Ninjatrader 8 and Medved Trader. But maybe there are some good alternatives I don't know? I used to trade currencies with the Metatrader 4 and this software is the best I have ever seen because I could program whatever I needed. Unfortuntately it's not made for stock trading.

Guys, any help is very appreciated!

Good trades to all!

2. Cortendo

Cortendo

I am in the early days of using Algoterminal with IB. So far its working fine for executing and programming indicators for chart or automated seems good. DM if any other users to compare notes.

3. you need an account in TD Ameritrade. They have Thinorswim tool which can do all you want !
    the good news : it is free

4. MarcusR

MarcusR

Thank you, I am just installing the thinkorswim Software. Unfortunately, TD Ameritrade doesn't offer any Euro-based accounts and I live in the EU.

So if there are any more ideas out there, please let me know. In the meantime I test thinkorswim.

Edit: I just tested the scanner and it offers the same filter functions as many other filters I came across. The IB scanner is doing the same.

I could not filter if today's low is below yesterday's low or how the last candle looks like. So this scanner is very similar to the IB scanner. Therefore it seems to be that I need a more professional scanning-software.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  5. for Thinkorswim you need to write scripts. they have a scripting language that can do whatever you want : https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/thinkScript.html

I also have the same issue to get account since I am located in EU as well. I had TD account many years before and I closed it :(. Now I can't open it again.

if you want more complex scanner , you need to pay for it.
    something like tradeIdeas (www.trade-ideas.com) or stockcharts (stockcharts.com) scanner are very powerful.

you can make your own scanner. you just need programming skills.

6. MarcusR

MarcusR

That sounds very good with the scripts. But why can't you open an account with them? Don't they accept clients from the EU?

Trade-ideas looks also very good. That seems to be a good alternative.
    I will have a closer look at Prorealtime. They have a very good software but I don't know about their scanning abilities.

7. Trade-ideas has a demo account which is free and delayed for 15 mins. you can try it.

regarding thinkorswim, it is because of Trump and EU problems for taxes and blah blah blah .

8. You can try TC 2000 in which you can programm as much as you want.

9. MotiveWave

MotiveWave Sponsor

We have a lot of people using our software (MotiveWave) as a front end for IB.