Stocks that move perfectly w/ S&P 500?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by monty21, Sep 23, 2008.

1. I day trade and my strategy basically consists of technical analysis associated with fading the S&P futures. I'm curious about the best method to learn which stocks best follow the S&P futures. Other than checking the BETA, what are some other methods?

I understand that the most ideal approach would include just a basic observation of particular stocks, but I want ones from a historical perspective.

Do you guys know of any stocks that generally follow the S&P futures the vast majority of the time (intraday...one minute time frame). The less divergence, the better. I don't care about the sector, industry, price, etc. Volume should be over 5 million shares traded a day though.

Thanks

NO AMEX STOCKS BTW

2. dsq

dsq

high vol dow30 stocks....like T,GE,VZ etc...

3. cszulc

cszulc

SPY
    (of course you knew that though!)

4. OIH.

5. I went to their 2 hr seminar and had a productive seminar. Most of the people at the seminar were new to stock market and very few did options. They are a very good marketing company it appears to have good training. Only the $299 fee was mentioned. I am interested in options. After the $1,000 basic upgrade, there is an option upgrade for $5,000. A final upgrade can be purchased for $30,000.

6. A bigger bang for your buck (than SPY) is SSO. 2 x the move of the S&P. Saddle up.

7. Sorry I forget to mention that I can't trade AMEX stocks....so no ETFs....

BTW its basically impossible to fade SPY anyway because arbitrage makes it move at the exact time with the futures...but you knew that already!

8. dsq

dsq

screw trading, im getting into trading seminars...jesus,does 30k upgrade include lapdances?

9. good one......never been to a seminar in my life unfortunately or paid for anything equally ridiculous

10. Monty, why not just pull up a correlation indicator? I think prophet charts have them, so I would bet other packages would too....I've seen them before....they just track correlation to the SPX and give you a %....you can sort through the stocks and week out all but the ones that say, have an average of at least 80% correlation.

#10     Sep 23, 2008