Stocks, Forex or Futures

Discussion in 'Trading' started by AFX, Aug 26, 2012.

1. AFX

AFX

Just a quick one for anyone with experience in at least two of these..

Which do you prefer and why?

I am not talking from a short term day trading perspective but rather from a longer term wealth building perspective.

Which do you find to be more straight forward to make money on.

2. I don't think it will make much difference to you which I prefer and why. I mean, we're all trying to build wealth long term, even if we have to daytrade to do it. What exactly are you thinking about? If you have an interest in weather, then ags or nat gas could be a fit. If you are tuned into interest rates, you might like forex or bonds. If you think you have a good read on people and products you may prefer stocks.

I never could get into trading stocks, even though I was a stockbroker. It was just hard for me to relate to people who thought a Mercedes Benz was good and a pick up truck was bad. So ag commodities came kind of natural to me. I enjoyed walking in the fields and talking to farmers a lot more than I did listening to peoples opinions on who will be the next CEO.

I just started trading a year ago and immediately liked forex, and now that's all I trade. It was easy to get started in because I could trade very small size until I started making money on a consistent basis. My average hold time is 8 days. I suppose if you got on the right side of something you could hold for a year or two.

I don't trade stocks but I invest in them, IMHO that is the best place for longterm holds.