"Stocks Could Rise When Bullets Fly"

Discussion in 'Trading' started by TGregg, Feb 8, 2003.

1. TGregg

TGregg

You just knew it was only a matter of time:

Stocks Could Rise When Bullets Fly
    Sat Feb 8, 2:57 PM ET
    By Haitham Haddadin

NEW YORK (Reuters) - If history is a guide, rockets raining down on Baghdad could spark a rally on Wall Street.

Macabre as it sounds, stock market rallies have been a consequence of war in the past. And an attack on Iraq would remove some of the uncertainty that has clouded the market.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...1&u=/nm/20030208/bs_nm/markets_stocks_iraq_dc

Perhaps a sure sign that we'll continue downwards?

2. tampa

tampa

My lad, there are no "sure signs" in the market. If you think that there are, mortgage the farm, and go short. If you're not so sure, then why did you make the post? What's the point?

3. dis

dis

In anticipation of a war rally institutional money managers are going to a) cover short positions 2) raise cash by selling defensive stocks and c) buy high-beta stocks (QQQ, semi's, etc.). As a result, the stock market will stay relatively flat with NDX outperforming SPX. The October lows will hold, which will be widely interpreted as a bullish sign.

Once the bullets start flying, the institutions and later the public will rush to buy stocks, and the market will rally. However, in the absence of a short squeeze, the rally will quickly run out of steam with few buyers yet plenty of short sellers left... As usual, the investing public will get trapped along with a majority of MF managers.

4. tampa

tampa

I wonder if you can help me - I've misplaced my car keys - that should be an easy one for you...

5. TGregg

TGregg

Thank you for your helpful opinion.

6. tampa

tampa

So you're not going to tell me where the keys are?

Well, if you can't tell me where my car keys are, why should I believe your market prognostications?

I think you are just a phoney - like Miss Cleo, and all the rest.

I'll find the keys myself - thank you.

7. dis

dis

My crystal ball is a bit cloudy today... All I can see is that you are long OTM puts likely to expire worthless. Are you sure you own car keys? :confused:

8. tampa

tampa

...damn, you're good! I was just trying to trick you with the car keys thing - it's my monthly bus pass I've lost - any ideas where it could be?

9. TGregg

TGregg

Should anybody know of a "professionals only" trading BBS to hang out at, I'd sure appreciate an invite. Thanks.

#10     Feb 9, 2003