Stockcharts.com or Desktop Software?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by 4XIS4U, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Can you be more specific? It looks ok to me.

I have found that different data providers often have slightly different data. It happens. Shouldn't, but it seems it does.

#21     Aug 30, 2008

2. now that someone mentioned it, I do remember that stockcharts.com's data was a little inaccurate from back when i used stockcharts.com to print up charts for my journal.

I know it was stockcharts.com and not my other data because there were times when I would have been stopped out according to the stockcharts.com data, but I wasn’t.

but most of the time the differences I've found were because something like how the time between 9:30am-10:00am is handled on a 60 minute chart, or other intervals that don’t slice into trading hours perfectly. Like some give you one 30 minute bar on the 60 minute chart, some add in 30 minutes of post- or pre-market data, et cetera. Thats the most outstanding difference that I've found at least.

#22     Aug 30, 2008
  3. With stockcharts.com, it takes a while to get your folders and chart styles set, but they are very easy to use once you do. They also allow you to save your annotations. I've been a subscriber since 2000, but I don't subscribe to the Murphy Message.

T
    http://actionpointsta.blogspot.com/

#23     Aug 30, 2008
  4. HOBO

HOBO

cunparis,

Stockcharts.com site says: ”data provided by Thomson”.
    So let’s get 52-week high for GE $42.15 from there http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/overview?symbol=GE.N
    BTW you will get the same value from other data providers.

Now open GE chart on stockcharts.com. What do you see for a 52-week high?

Look few years back and the deviation will grow to several dollars! Support and resistance levels will get distorted.

You will get similar results for many other stocks.

I speculate, stockcharts.com is actually showing DRIP charts. But even as DRIP charts they are not consistent and I would not rely on them.

#24     Aug 30, 2008
  5. rjmgroup

rjmgroup

Worden's sister company, The Blocks Company, LLC, released Blocks 3.1. The EOD data is free and provides scans as well. If you want Canadian stocks though it'll cost you $29.95 per month.

I'm not sure why they're offering EOD for free since it competes with their paid version of TeleChart Gold.

www.blocks.com

#25     Aug 31, 2008
  6. skot99

skot99

I used to work as a pricing analyst for the fund management arm of the largest custodian bank in the US. This was my job, getting prices straight. Different traders would want their prices coming from different providers and exchanges. Where Bloomberg might be using an eod price based on last, bid, mid, or ask, and from nyse or nasdaq, or london, or what have you. Different clients want marks based on varying criteria. You can get a lot of different prices for a security based on cusips, exchanges, and many other slight variants,., it was a full time job,., should be pretty close though for say, us stocks trading on us exchanges...

#26     Mar 5, 2009
  7. Where is the free version of EOD? All I see is links to StockFinder which they charge for.

Other alternatives for online:

www.stockfetcher.com
    www.portfolio123.com

#27     Mar 5, 2009