Stock Trading Robots: are they legal?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by tdev, Apr 30, 2012.

1. eurojack

eurojack

Because stock trading is not accessible to everyone like fx spot. To trade stocks you need to have money (no leverage) and be serious about it if you don't want to lose all your money right away while with fx spot every kid on the block with literally 5$ in his pocket can trade currencies because of the leverage offered on the market (trading cents or even less) hence the popularity (community->tools).

#11     May 2, 2012
  2. What he said.

To put it even more simply, FX is open to newbies and it's easy to get an account. Newbies are the ones who think good robots are for sale, so they are the suckers to buy them most, and that's why there's a lot of FX robots you can see "for sale".

#12     May 2, 2012
  3. Yes it is legal. Hft?

Tos has this now. Tda has it in strategy desk.

Ninja trader you can write your own programs.

#13     May 2, 2012
  4. tdev

tdev

Proof may be?

Selling robots may be treated as a financial advice, which is illegal unless you have a license.

#14     May 4, 2012
  5. WS_MJH

WS_MJH

So, I'm guessing you think collective2 and the systems on there are also pretty much a fraud. It's seems unreal that a good system would be on there; it'd seem the edge will disappear once more and more people use such system.

#15     May 11, 2012
  6. Givem2me

Givem2me

This isn’t really true. What any of us traders need and even what a robot would need to successfully trade would be consistency and predictability. We look at a chart and have an idea what the stock will do because we have traded similar looking charts in the past. Now, let’s say you could get 1 million robots out there trading billions of dollars on a certain set of defined set-ups. This would have to increase the predictability of the market, wouldn’t it?

#16     Mar 9, 2018
  7. JSOP

JSOP

Why would it be illegal? :confused:

#17     Mar 9, 2018