stock trading on tws papertrader.

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by shovel52, Jan 19, 2007.

1. piptek

piptek

My laptop is dual core. I don't think single core or dual or quad core matters. The TWS is light weight with JAVA backend. I did run TWS in past in single core pentium system. but it is surprising the price doesn't load most of the time with papertrading account instead displays ? all over the place. I do use ninjatrader with IB datafeed(which really sucks) also mbtrading datafeed(which rocks). All in all IB stands out because of their comm and wiring money out(flexible) and very nominal wiring fee.

#11     Aug 12, 2011
  2. DAV

DAV ET Sponsor

The question marks are displayed because you cannot receive market data in the paper acccount and the production account at the same time.

#12     Aug 12, 2011
  3. jazlives

jazlives

The paper account and the live account cannot be on two separate computers (linked through your home network).

However, if these two accounts are on the same computer (by opening two instances of TWS - one live and the other paper) both will work smoothly.
    HTH

#13     Aug 12, 2011
  4. DAV

DAV ET Sponsor

Right, I should have mentioned that.

#14     Aug 12, 2011
  5. piptek

piptek

Mr Dav, I know very well the market data is not available for the paper account that time and that's why TWS displaying ?. however sometime like now I can see paper and live account working properly in the same machine with two instances of tws. It seems like IB is not reliable and consistent in their platform. I have also account with TD-Ameritrade/TOS but they don't imply the rule of running paper and live instance run in same machine. I have never experienced such market data loss quite often with other online brokers, offcourse IB is exceptionally renowned for their platform and customer service....

#15     Aug 12, 2011
  6. ===============
    Shovel50-Trend
    Paper trading with real paper [which leaves a real record to be studied ]can be helpful

Also its much cheaper than real time tradin !!.1ook volume ?? Great fills if you are buy @ market during downtrend or sell @ market in uptrend. Maybe better tham you think LOL

Actually paper[recorded] trading can be helpful, so do it;
    BUT ,it is nothing like real time trading, for the same reason Monopoly money doesnt make you much real money in real estate.Unless you invented that game, he made millions.:cool:

Trading or investing is easier [not easy] with rule of 72;
    work 6 days a week for 12 hours=72 hours a week, do that 7.2 years, remember that rule of 72. Thats wisdom. Good question.

murray TT

#16     Aug 15, 2011