Stock Swing Traders

Discussion in 'Journals' started by coolweb, Jan 2, 2006.

1. anyone subscribe to thestreet.com swing trader newsletter? I was thinking about doing it but was wondering how other ppl felt about it

#21     Jan 5, 2006
  2. JPM LONG
    STOP 40.49

#22     Jan 9, 2006
  3. JPM ADD 40.54
    STOP 40.52

All prev entries, set to breakeven

Not a big money trade, but risk free.
    I'll start posting some big money trades next week . still testing.

#23     Jan 9, 2006
  4. JPM , all stopped out 40.52 breakeven.
    No Inst interest at the moment.

Will trade tomorrow.

#24     Jan 9, 2006
  5. I think your stops are way to tight to be a swing trader. Seems like you are scalping for pennies.

#25     Jan 9, 2006
  6. Where would you suggest I place my stops for JPM?

#26     Jan 9, 2006
  7. Boib

Boib

Cool;

Re your JPM trade.

I agree that the stops are too tight for a swing trade. If you’re looking for a 5% or better move why have your stops at pennies? A 1% stop would be 40 cents for JPM.

Any reason you entered the trade when you did? To me the entry would have been in the 40.25 area when it broke resistance and my stop would have been the days low. Of course I have the advantage of looking at the chart at the end of the day and didn’t have to make any decisions in real time.

I trade with IB and find it difficult to get quick fills on NYSE stocks so I use stop sell orders to exit with my stop loss and expect to lose a little with slippage.

#27     Jan 9, 2006
  8. cnms2

cnms2

JPM has an ATR of .5-.6, and its nearest support is about 39.5, or about 2*ATR bellow your breakout level.

You declared yourself a swing trader, and entered JPM on a price breakout with large volume.

In my opinion, this was not a good entry point for a swing trade because it required a too large stop loss for your probable reward. At the same time a wider stop loss should be ok for a trend following trade.

JPM's long term (weekly) is up, but in my opinion the whole picture suggests a retracement in short term, and today might've been just a buying climax, hence risky for a swing trade.

#28     Jan 9, 2006
  9. Thanks for posting. Looks like a decent buy to me for a few percent.

#29     Jan 9, 2006
  10. pbw

pbw

CW, how many shares did you buy of JPM?

What was your anticipated profit exit price?

#30     Jan 9, 2006