Stock Simulation Room - Like Air Plane Simulators

Discussion in 'Trading' started by shotse, Sep 27, 2011.

1. shotse

shotse

So there's air plane simulators ... are there any stock trading simulators? Like a stock simulation room?

For example you would enter the room like you would enter an air plane simulator. In which it is an enclosed environment for simulations to take place.

Has anyone ever heard of anything done like this? I wouldn't mind buying my own stock trading simulator room if it was somewhat simular to air plane simulators...

I'm curious...anyways let me know what you guys came up with. I tried Google with only came up with this...

http://www.ase.com.jo/en/ase-signed-academic-cooperation-agreement-yarmouk-university

I read it and it really didn't provide me with much information other than that university created a stock trading simulator for there students, but they really didn't go into much detail at all.

I'm really interested in this. Help cure my interest!

2. shotse

shotse

bump - come on everyone I'm sitting here in the library with such deep curiosity! I asked the librarians and they directed me the flight simulator books. Wasn't really much help....

3. trader967

trader967

I assume that you are aware of broker simulators. What further features are you looking for?

4. Bob111

Bob111

5. J Ski

J Ski

CNBC stock game. What do you need a simulator for?

6. Lucias

Lucias

There are many simulators available and they are worthwhile but each simulator may have limitations that make them less then ideal depending on your requirements.

Most simulation experiences fail because they fail to focus on the proper skills for learning experience. Primarily simulators like Ninjatrader fail because the simulator, paper trading, is focused in a very narrow skill base (scalping) that is one of the most difficult trading style to be profitable at. Other simulators like CNBC, may lack the ability to short or the data may be too delayed/stale. This is not to say that one couldn't use a platform like Ninjatrader for non scalping but it is designed/suited toward that. The DOM ladder is a great interface for entering trades but that is also a problem in that it encourages one to trade using a style that is most difficult to get to work.

Simulation skills fall into broadly three broad categories:

1. Learning the platform and basic order types
    2. Money and psychology
    3. Trading expertise and applied trading strategy

Each type can be addressed with different simulators and simulation goals.

1. Almost any simulator will do if starting for stage 1 goals including investopedia.
    2. Stage 2 goals require risk capital on line. I like NADEX for this or possibly some zero commission ETF or shares.
    3. I like Collective2 for stage 3 goals, although the order entry system is terrible. The key to stage 3 simulation is to keep all parameters exactly as you will use them in reality. Example, if you will be trading a 10k account then you just be practicing with a 10k and not a 100k account. If you will only tolerate 1k risk per trade in reality then you should not be taking 3k on the simulator, etc, etc.

7. find the room with 18 yo pussies

:D

8. Not only do I think it is a relatively nascent and potentially useful idea, but the idea of combining interactive video type games and knowledge discovery is proving to be quite useful in scientific pattern discoveries.. such as 'foldit,' a game designed to discover folding patterns in proteomics.

http://www.americanbiotechnologist.com/blog/computer-gaming-protein-scientists/

Regarding simple trading simulators, you could start at developing a dynamic walk forward chart in excel (see dynamic charts) and learn a lot about trading at the right edge. What would I have done? Why did the new data behave differently than I expected? Are there repeatable tendencies that are potentially profitable (or not)?

I've used slightly more complicated scenarios in analyzing practical market behavior for development. Moving up on the aggregate scale, there has been much effort into analyzing 'agent' based behavior in market trading and behavioral modeling.

http://www2.econ.iastate.edu/tesfatsi/acecode.htm
    http://www.economist.com/node/16636121