Stock market is so flat the last 2 days !

Discussion in 'Trading' started by zanek, Feb 18, 2010.

1. zanek

zanek

Perhaps its just the stocks I've been trading, but for the last 2 days, everything seems to just drift with almost no movement at all.

There are a couple 1% moves (in the 3x ETFs) but other than that, everything seems really dead.

What happened ? Perhaps this is just a temporary lull and I've been spoiled by the volatility of 2009 but it seems really dead in many sectors.

2. yeah my screen is mostly sideways. market is hesitant after that sell off late last month and early this month. I am seeing daily maybe 2 or 3 good catchable moves in the 60 or so I monitor. One good thing is bigger moves are hopefully coming soon.

3. jd7419

jd7419

You mean volatility of 2008 right? These last 2 days have been particulary painful if discretionary trading is your sort of thing. This market hasn't felt the need to do much of anything for a long time, who knows how long this plays out.

4. ehehhe welcome to Obamanomics

5. zanek

zanek

I didnt trade in 2008, but yes 2008 looked like a good time to trade as well. I'll take anything other than what we have right now.

MohdSalleh: I know the president gets all the blame since he's the figure head, but I dont really blame Obama. He cant do much other than sign bills into law or prod others to go in a certain direction (he hasnt used his executive powers really ). Yes, Obama can threaten bank fees, etc, but congress is where the real power is at.

6. jd7419

jd7419

I agree its not Obamas fault, the market cycles are bigger than any president. Volumes are low from the killing joe six pack took in 2008 and it doesn't look like its coming back. That being said new suckers are born everyday and at some point volume and vibrant markets will return. Heres to hoping for sooner rather than later.

7. LOL I actually had a hard time today scalping huge spikes in my stocks. But the futures are definitely stressful to bears and bulls alike.

8. It may play out just 2004-2006 were we stayed in a range for two years after the surge off the lows, Dow 10000-11000 give or take.

9. yeah pretty much seems will be same.

10. Even my favorites FAS and FAZ are dead. This does seem strange. It just feels like we are building energy for a break one way or the other.

#10     Feb 18, 2010