Stock day-traders, how many points a day?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by hapaboy, Jan 25, 2003.

1. How many points did you net a day on average in 2002?

2. blackswan

blackswan

POINTS per day? what the?

(I see a couple averaged over 5/day. Yeahh riiighht)

3. First of all, most people here will lie to themselves and if they have results like +1,-3,+3,-2, 0,+4,-1,+3,-1,+2 for a series of days they will claim to average between 2 and 3 points per day.

Secondly, some traders calculate points in 1000-share lots, so if they make a half point on 10,000 shares they count that as a total of 5 points.

4. blackswan

blackswan

I thought it would be obvious to count the points as points per share.

5. You would think so. But then again if you buy 1000 at 10:00, sell them at 10:30 for a profit of 1 point, buy them back at 10:31, sell them at 11:00 for another profit of 1 point, that would make your profit per share 0.2 points, right?

If you buy 1000 at 10:00, sell them at 10:31 for a profit of 1 point, but buy another 1000 at 10:30, sell them at 11:00 for another profit of 1 point, technically that would make your profit per share 0.1 points, although the trading histories are almost identical.

Of course, there is a difference if you take margin into consideration (IF you be so inclined).

6. why not just ask the % annual return?

7. I'm asking for net points REGARDLESS of shares traded.

So, let's say on a certain day you made 3 trades, one where you made 1/2 a point, one where you made 1 point, and another where you made 1/2 a point. Your net points that day is .66 (1/2 plus 1 plus 1/2 divided by 3 trades).

Another day you make 4 trades with the following results:

+.50, - .25, +1.50, -.50

Your net points that day is .31 (.50 -.25 + 1.50 - .50 divided by four trades.

So disregard the number of shares traded, please.

Sorry, I didn't think it was this confusing.

8. Sittas

Sittas

The question was not confusion.... :)

I usually make 2-3 trades a day and make about $1.5

Happy trading,
    Sittas

9. Sittas

Sittas

That means about $0.5 per share. This includes failed trades.

Happy trading,
    Sittas

10. The game is no longer about points a day... its simply about being green by the end of the day more often than being flat or red, and being grateful for the occasional big day which comes along...

#10     Jan 26, 2003