stock database with sector

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by borsaci, Jul 8, 2008.

1. some good news... the nyse website has all nyse listed companies categorized by icb. i checked a few nyse listings by subsector against the same dow jones index subsector components, and there are many more stocks listed on the nyse’s icb breakdown than what appears in the dow jones index components.

http://www.nyse.com/about/listed/lc_all_industry.html

i am now very certain that icb is the definitive standard, and the dow jones indexes only use a small sample of stocks from an icb sector in their sector indexes instead of using all of them, and icb extends far beyond just the dow jones index components.

now if we could only get our hands on the database... i got an automated message from the dowjones.com email server saying the email address i wrote to was invalid, i’m trying a few others now.

#11     Jul 15, 2008
  2. borsaci

borsaci

got this response from ICB, will followup and see what happens...

the nyse does have more info but not the best way for grabbing the data (plus only has nyse not nasdaq).

----------------------------------------
    Thank you for your interest in the Industry Classification Benchmark (ICB) database. The ICB Global Universe Database contains approximately 65,000 securities classified according to our four tier system. There are significantly more securities in the ICB database than are found in even our most comprehensive indexes. For example, the U.S. portion of the ICB database includes closed-end funds, ETFs, preferred issues, etc whereas our DJW5000 Index (i.e. the U.S. market) primarily includes common equity.

The ICB database is delivered either directly to our clients via FTP or through a major market data vendor. Please let me know if you work with a specific vendor and I will verify whether they carry the ICB data.

Clients receiving the ICB database must first execute a license agreement; the terms of the agreement and associated fees depend on how our clients use the data. If you provide some details about your intended use, I can provide a proposal with fee quote.
    -----------------------------------------------

#12     Jul 15, 2008
  3. got a similar response + "there are approximately 17,000 securities in the U.S. portion of the ICB database."

#13     Jul 16, 2008
  4. anything new borsaci?

they wanted to know what company/corporation i represented, the trail went a little cold after i told them i was just an individual investor, no reply :(

#14     Jul 17, 2008
  5. borsaci

borsaci

yeah i replied to their email and have yet to get a response.

I told them that I was with a broker dealer but specified it was for personal use.

almostgotit- i pm'd you about this. check it out when you have a chance.

#15     Jul 17, 2008