Stock Credit Spread Trades

Discussion in 'Journals' started by cszulc, Mar 24, 2008.

1. fakie99

fakie99

as a sidenote - when someone says "leg into" an IC does that just mean execute the high or low spread, then come in later to initate the other end? under what circumstances would you want to do that - maybe make sure the trade is going your way, then put on the spread on the opposite end?

thx,

#21     Mar 26, 2008
  2. cszulc

cszulc

Exactly correct. If I'm in front of the computer and I see the market improving or declining, I'll leg into the spread that will benefit best from that moment. If market is going up, I'll buy the call spread part that will be moving upward.

#22     Mar 26, 2008
  3. fakie99

fakie99

in the case you mention, you'd buy the call spread becuase the premiums would be going up in that instance i assume?

thanks for the explanation!

#23     Mar 26, 2008
  4. cszulc

cszulc

Yep, right.

#24     Mar 26, 2008
  5. MTE

MTE

No, I'm not thinking about ITM call spreads. I was correcting your typo(?).

You said:
    Selling a deep ITM spread (put or call) is an extremely directional bet, cause you need for the underlying to move above (for puts) / below (for calls) your short strike to keep the premium.

However, what you mean is really an OTM spread.

#25     Mar 27, 2008
  6. MTE

MTE

If you are selling an iron condor and the market is moving up then you should sell the put spread first as it will become less valuable as the market moves up, and wait for the market to move up to sell the call spread, which will be more valuable then.

Unless, of course, you mean breaking up the IC into 4 individual trades, i.e. buying the long call first and then selling the short call,...

#26     Mar 27, 2008
  7. cszulc

cszulc

You're right. Thank you.

I was confusing ITM/OTM for puts, thinking they're calls.

Sorry!

#27     Mar 27, 2008
  8. cszulc

cszulc

Out of 1 of the MSFT credit spreads for $0.84, $22 gain over two days. Not bad considering it only tied up $250 of capital.

Might be putting on iron condor soon, have to check quotes.

#28     Mar 27, 2008
  9. Are you scaling down these trades for illustrative purposes on this journal or really just trading 1 contract at a time?

Aren't the commissions killing your profits?

#29     Mar 27, 2008
  10. cszulc

cszulc

Commissions are with IB, at $0.70 per contract.

Depends on the spread, but around 2-5 contracts per trade.

#30     Mar 27, 2008