Stock Certificate Questions

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Recall, Dec 28, 2007.

  1. Recall



    I own 3 stocks that are held in so called "street name" at my broker. I am thinking of having them put the stock in my name and send me the certificates for me to hold on to.

    My question is if i do this, will there be any tax reporting done at all? I'm not selling the stocks, I just want to have the certificates mailed to me instead of the broker having the stocks in street name.
  2. Recall


    Does anyone know?

    maybe a moderator could move my question to the stock forum if I asked in the wrong forum.
  3. Usually there is no cash involved, so you only pay taxes when you sell it.
  4. No, recording of the purchase was done when you acquired the equities, tax reporting will happen when it is sold. The only cost you may have will depend on whether or not your broker has some charge for delivering certificates
  5. Recall


    Thanks to both of you!