Stochastics

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by insaneinvestor, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Yeah, thats what i meant-just tool around until it looks like its tracking the price action you focus on, theres more than one way to read an indicator to.

If your only after solid overbought/oversold areas, a medium time frame fisher transform might be worth a look , if your software has it.

#11     Sep 5, 2007
  2. Tums

Tums

#12     Sep 5, 2007
  3. Rofl, does EVERYTHING have to be about the vaguely verbose Mr Hershey?

For chris'sake, the stochastic would have to be just behind a moving average in simplicity,
    but no, jack turns it into a "paradigm".
    Aaaargh....
    Jeepers.

For something new, exciting, that isnt simply a paradigm, try;
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102700

Edit-Or for light entertainment, in case you can sleep after one of jack's mind bending trips into shakespearean make-up-the-language-as he-goes along sojourns into trading psychology.
    There's just no need, for so many new acronyms.
    Is there?

#13     Sep 5, 2007
  4. Interesting version of a stochastic derivative there.. I had never seen that before.

Also..there is a no cost webinar tomorrow at 3:30 pm cst, which shows faster than normal non-standard stochastic settings in use to make scalp and shorter term position trades at feltontrading.com

#14     Sep 5, 2007
  5. Any other unique stochastic settings that are beeing used?

I think they are best used to get in sync with price movement cycles imo.

#15     Sep 5, 2007
  6. What does that mean?

#16     Sep 5, 2007
  7. When the market is NOT trending (majority of the time), you can trade very effectively with the cycles of price within range bound areas by use of stochastics for trade entry set ups. The stochastic set to faster non standard settings gets very "in sync" (not the signing group) with the price action rotation cycles within a range.

During trending price action periods, the stochastic can have numerous counter trend signals that are not nearly as effective as the periods where there is cyclical price rotation..this is when the stochastic shines. For the method I trade, there must always be a MACD to confirm any set up signal created from the stochastic readings for entry qualification (because the stochastic has a weakness by itself in trend periods).

#17     Sep 5, 2007
  8. George Lane, RIP, made his fortune as a vendor and a broker, not a trader. Stochastics is derived from PRICE ACTION, a momentum indicator.

Without an understanding of price action it means nothing and with an understanding, is as useless as an ass wiping manual!

#18     Sep 6, 2007
  9. True to a point..but it is an effective tool in the right application.

#19     Sep 6, 2007
  10. What do you do when Stoch and MACD do not tell you the same thing? Just wait?

#20     Sep 6, 2007