Still waiting for the Cabal guys to deliver...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by alfonso, May 12, 2003.

1. I thought that might be the case. I was aware of Lincoln's repulsive views, but I believe that most people are not.

#11     May 12, 2003
  2. Hmm, I guess the Civil War period puts a libertarian (I assume) like you in a bit of a bind: on the one hand you would have to support the rights of the southern states to secede, yet on the other hand you have to support the freeing of the slaves, no?

#12     May 12, 2003
  3. You are correct about my Libertarian/Objectivist beliefs.

Regarding slavery, I think it's pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain that it's wrong to enslave people. But as far as the south's right to seccession- well, that's a very good question.

While I'd like the government to only do the bare minimum of 'governing', the objectivist view is still that the government certainly must interfere when people are being physically abused. Saving people from being chained up and worked like farm animals is definately something the government needed to stop.

What if the south had no slaves, and wanted to secede? Well, that would have been a whole different matter entirely....

#13     May 12, 2003
  4. Intervening to prevent violence is one of the roles that objectivists see for a government, correct. The question would be, though, does a state that has seceded still fall under the jurisdiction of the union it was previously a part of? That's to say, that although, yes, slavery certainly is an infringement upon personal freedom (to say the least), if a state has a consitutional right to secede, and it exercises that right, and if it (slavery) is still legal within a seceded state, what right does the rump union have to intefere?

If you say that it does have that right, what difference is there between intervening in the affairs of a seceded state and intervening in the affairs of another sovereign nation (whose policies you don't like), the former being a fledgling version of the latter?

#14     May 12, 2003
  5. Well, the Emancipation Proclamation freed only those slaves in the states that were in rebellion.

#15     May 12, 2003
  6. civil war hostilities began in early 1861.

the Emancipation Proclamation was issued in late 1862.

#16     May 13, 2003

7. Well, weren't they pretty much the only states that actually had any slaves anyway?

#17     May 13, 2003
  8. not exactly.

http://www.nps.gov/anti/freedom.htm

#18     May 13, 2003
    #19     May 22, 2003

10. Ahahaha, are you serious? What weapons of mass destruction:confused:

Man it was all a ploy to dupe our people.:mad: and invade another country to steal their oil. Screw them all. What's few thousand of innocent lives both our and theirs in front of few trillions $$$$. Oil mafia shrub and company got they wanted. Lots of $$$$$ in petrodollars.

weapons of mass distraction:confused: they have been moved to Syria, or is it Iran? hmmmmmmm North Korea? Nuhhhhh no oil there to steal hehehehe

where are you all mfer's warmongers now???

here's a gif for ya:D

WAIT WE FOUND THEM

The cache of chemical weapons includes 873,020 pounds of sarin, 1,657,480 pounds of VX nerve agent and 1,976,760 pounds of mustard agent - enough to kill or incapacitate millions.

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/03/16/Worldandnation/Not_Iraq__but_Annisto.shtml

In the mean time we feast on freedom fries, 70% believe that the 9/11 hijackers were from Iraq, and 66% are grossly overweight. Nice going:mad: Can you say feed the people bullshit??

This nation USED to stand for some values and principles. Now it's screw everyone. Who's gonna stop us? NOBODY!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

#20     May 22, 2003