Still running Windows XP SP2? Why?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by killthesunshine, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Pollux

Pollux

The issue you refer to is easily solved. Some AMD powered computers (namely HP) need a simple registry change or else SP3 will cause BSOD after installation.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm\Start

The start value needs to be changed from 1 to 4, reboot and voila, SP3 can be installed without any problems. Simple.

#11     Jun 29, 2010
  2. DannoXYZ

DannoXYZ

That registry edit disables the intelppm.sys and does solve the symptoms (BSOD). However, it still doesn't solve the actual problem, which was caused by HP using the same Windows image to clone drives for both Intel and AMD-based systems. HP needed to create an AMD-specific image to clone. In which case, the Windows installer would've detected the AMD CPU and used amdk8.sys for power-management functions instead of intelppm.sys. Then additional updates won't cause problems.

#12     Jun 30, 2010
  3. Good, professional advice.

#13     Jun 30, 2010
  4. ammo

ammo

they recently added seaport.exe somehow and my computer has acted like it had a virus,found an article on internet about it ,removed msn toolbar and it disappearred,click control,alt ,delete all together, and see if it's running on your computer,not sure what it is but getting rid of it put my computer back to normal....it might be something they added to speed up your decision to switch to newer package

#14     Jul 1, 2010
  5. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

What? WHAT?!? A thumb's-up reply on EliteTrader?!?!? W.T.F.???

(Oh, I see. It's a holiday. A anomaly, and not to be expected in the future.)

#15     Jul 4, 2010
  6. DannoXYZ

DannoXYZ

Why thank you. :)

#16     Jul 7, 2010