Still in College - Any Advice

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Rex32, May 3, 2006.

1. Rex32

Rex32

Nothing much!

I wans't trying to piss anyone off my being a newbie on the forums, just looking for advice. I've read liars poker and plan to purchase the ten books on investopedia's recomendation list.
    I love taking my business courses, so glad I switched from engineering!

Anyone any advice that you guys could offer, on the subject of trading :D :D, would be very helpful.

Thanks Again,
    Mike

#11     May 3, 2006
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Seriously man, stay at Penn State and take more classes. You need to pick up some life skills before you piss your life away daytrading. You'll thank me in 10 years.

#12     May 3, 2006
  3. Rex32

Rex32

I'm definately not planning on leaving until I graduate, most likely staying for five years actually. I just want to get as much knowledge while I'm here. I'm also taking some real estate courses next semester along with my finance courses.
    I would rather trade for fun while in school to try to learn the ropes. That way if I blow the money it won't kill me.

Mike

#13     May 3, 2006
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Look, anyone can be a daytrader. Your deaf niece who is blind in one eye and eats out of a straw could daytrade. There is no hurry to do that. Take classes in school and use college so that if you have to, and you probably will have to, you could land a normal job. I'm talking beyond the normal finance classes. You can trade all you want from your dorm room. Just don't prepare yourself to daytrade when you graduate. Prepare yourself for something else. If you have any kind of success trading in college, you can always give trading a shot at some point down the road. But don't get blinded by that now. The average income on this forum is less then that of a SAG member (Screen Actors Guild), which last year was about $3,500 a year.

#14     May 3, 2006
  5. ...also try to transfer out to UPENN. Who goes to PennState to major in Business? :D

#15     May 3, 2006
  6. Rex32

Rex32

Yeah I think daytrading will be more of a hobby, although I do want a real job in the trading aspect. Hopefully I can get a job at a leading firm when I graduate and then go to Wharton...
    That is the dream plan atleast

Mike

Ha Ripley you read my mind...
    H.S. GPA was terrible thats

#16     May 3, 2006
  7. nitro

nitro

Study hard and pay attention. You will never have the capacity to give it your all like you do now.

nitro

#17     May 3, 2006
  8. Don't waste your time day trading, go get an internship with a bank and make some connections. Maybe you will run into someone who can break you into the trading world.

#18     May 3, 2006
  9. Rex32

Rex32

My roommates unlce is a VP at Bear Stearns and he said he could help me get an internship in NYC next summer so I'm pretty excited for that. I just want to read about a trading careers and have a good amount of knowledge before graduating.
    I messed up a lot in High School and I dont want to repeat that in college, and thus far I haven't but now I am trying to make up for it by doing extra work and learning extra things.

Mike

#19     May 3, 2006
  10. You sound like you have a good positive attitude. Keep on top of your studies, try and get that intership at Bear and I am sure you'll get to where you want to go. Once you get your degree, you can decide if you want to take a shot at trading but at least you'll have that degree! :)

#20     May 3, 2006