Still going up....

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Daxspreader, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Well said! Transparency......where? I don't see any transparency. Oh, there is NO transparency! Obama's promises.......hasn't kept one yet.

Agree with JamesVU2000.....US didn't deal with losses and fixing problems...it's more like covering them up for future generations to deal with. The ones who make the mess leave them for the next one to clean up while they are out living the good life.

When trading this kind of market, have to adapt to the situation and play the markets. Markets are forever changing and keeping traders on their toes which is what makes it exciting.

#11     Jan 7, 2010
  2. we wont beable to hold this thing together for much longer. its too fragile

#12     Jan 7, 2010
  3. You've been one of the few posters on this site to have a great grasp of this stuff going back several years. From the "inflate or die" days back then to the new mantra of "extend and pretend".

I agree, the lack of volume definitely represents a lack of transparency and crisis in confidence. The political response has been and will always be "hey how can we get the dow back above 10000".

#13     Jan 7, 2010
  4. thanks.

#14     Jan 7, 2010
  5. jjj1000

jjj1000

great discussion here. I agree with very much was said here, like the lack of pullbacks (very unatural), the lack of transparency, etc. It is shocking really what the fed and their system can do now - and in total secrecy. It is a pity really. Why can't we just have a "normal" market with no dark pools, flash trading, etc

#15     Jan 7, 2010
  6. bl33p

bl33p

That's why it's time to buy now. They will be back, some day.

Wealth of americans is in stocks, not savings. Dollar may tank but with equity you will at least keep level.

#16     Jan 7, 2010
  7. Why did nobody talk about no pullbacks when the market dropped to 666? When the market does pullback the people that made money on the way up will make money on the way down because they trade with no opinions. The market is always right because that what you get paid off of. You have to learn how to trade both sides of the market . People been crying for a pullback since S&P 900!!! Remember the theory of a bear market rally. If it's true then make the money on the way up and on the way down. Trade with an open mind. The easy money is on the long side for now and you don't need to pick the exact top to make money on the short side when the time is right.

#17     Jan 7, 2010
  8. Illum

Illum

It will stop going, the man behind the curtain now needs everyone to stop buyin the snp and buy his crappy debt. If he has to spook you to do it, he will. We are near the top.

#18     Jan 7, 2010
  9. IMO.....the shorts have the intellectual high ground.

BUT....the longs are the ones making the money. I'll be playing from the long side, but I have my finger hovering over my "sell" key.

I have my short list of bear items at the ready. I think it will be ugly....but hey, I've been saying that since dow 9,000.

#19     Jan 7, 2010
  10. NoDoji

NoDoji

The market's behavior is not based on what actually is, but rather on what market participants believe is.

I've spent months trying to reconcile myself with irrational market behavior, such as AMZN trading at a P/E of 76 while IBM trades at a P/E of 13.

Or how about LEN rising 13% today reporting its first "profit" in 2 years because of a one-time tax related item. With that item removed they actually had a loss and missed earnings estimates by .67 per share.

Obviously fundamentals mean nothing; all that counts is whether people believe a stock price will go up or down. The valuation can be absurd, but if enough people think the price will go up, the price will keep moving up one tick at a time.

And what helps people think price will go up or down? Mainly analyst opinions, as with LEN today.

What's interesting is how analyst opinion will drive an overpriced sector down one week, then opposing opinion drive it up the next.

POT was a "sell" just a couple weeks ago; now it's a strong buy as Goldman becomes suddenly bullish on it.

In fact, I remember just a month or so ago, Cramer being bearish on POT one day and bullish on it a couple days later.

Enron was rated a "strong buy" by several top analysts just days before they went down.

#20     Jan 7, 2010