Stick a Fork In Microsoft: "Google Unveils a PC Operating System"

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by ByLoSellHi, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Google did. It was a silent dutch auction they conducted themselves and upset a lot of Wall Street.

#21     Jul 8, 2009
  2. Morgan Stanley and Credit Suisse First Boston, Goldman plus others underwrote for Google.

#22     Jul 8, 2009
  3. May be

#23     Jul 8, 2009
  4. GOOG has like 4,000 highly paid PHD's working round the clock and I havn't seen shit from them other than good search paid for with ads. What they have been doing before they went public.

MSFT has nothing to worry about.

#24     Jul 8, 2009
  5. yes may be . With the Resources they have

#25     Jul 8, 2009
  6. Whatever Google puts their minds, money and attention to, they do well at.

If I were Microsoft, I'd be extremely worried.

OS is Mr. Softy's bread and butter revenue stream. The lose money on just about everything else they do.

#26     Jul 8, 2009
  7. dewton

dewton

I think it's already been established that Linux can't compete with Microsoft. Linux has tried... for decades. I seriously doubt Chrome OS will change that.

#27     Jul 8, 2009
  8. No, they'll fail because they haven't hired me yet. Of course, I'm listening for the right price :).

Software testing anyone....

Reputation forever anyone....

:)

#28     Jul 8, 2009
  9. great let microsoft sink !!!! May be not

#29     Jul 9, 2009
  10. You are quite wrong.

It is no secret that Linux has had a hard time competing on the PC/desktop, but that is the rear vision mirror view.

However ....

Linux is highly successful in the server area and quite successful in just about every other area of computing from embedded systems to high performance computing and supercomputers. It has a lot of backing from the likes of IBM, Oracle. Google and so on. The threat to Microsoft is very real.

Google is betting on the so called "cloud" - that consumer use of computers will shift over time from the "one man is an island" PC model to some sort of distributed interaction between smart clients and servers in the "cloud". It is projected that more of the smarts will be in cloud than in the client.

In this environment, the core OS on the client matters less and less, because applications software packages on the client/PC matter less and less.

Of course all this is hardly new in concept but is certainly feasible given the huge increases in processing power and comms bandwidth of the last decade.

How this will pan out and how long it might take is anyone's guess, but the threat to MS is potentially very real.

#30     Jul 23, 2009