Steven Cohen's trading results

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Trend Fader, May 1, 2005.

1. say what you will about jewish people...
    but do not refer to jewish people as "THEM"...
    i take offense to this...

alex

#21     May 2, 2005
  2. The latter Mr. Nitro. Being one the those "ethnic minorities" I happen to have family that is at all levels of the socioeconomic spectrum. In regards to your studies, does it mention that when most of my ancestors were being shut out of traditional jobs because of their religion, they had to create their own businesses to feed their families.

#22     May 2, 2005
  3. nitro

nitro

Well,

While I understand the tribulations that Jews have had to endure throughout history (my ex and my daughter are Jewish, I am not), I do not believe that makes the statement that Jews are extraordinarily successful and to talk about why, either economically or in the sciences, taboo.

Lots of "races" have been persecuted throughout history. Look at black people, or native americans in modern times. Look at the wrath that Hitler unleashed on the Gypsys during WWII and in general throughout history.

I think it is a valid point of study, and the fact that "The Protestant Ethic and The Spirit of Capitalism" is required reading at the University of Chicago probably means that other thinkers think so too.

nitro

#23     May 2, 2005
  4. Ebo

Ebo

Nitro:

I bet she got you good.

All we are missing to complete this worthless thread is that Taliban scumbag Trader to join in.

#24     May 2, 2005
  5. nitro

nitro

Got me good? I don't understand what that means. She is the best thing that happened to me. The fact that we could not make it work was a tragedy.

A large portion of my friends are Jewish. I really don't understand the aversion to talking about the propensity of some ethnic groups to excel. Even my educated Jewish friends believe there is something to it.

I also believe it to be true of many Asians. I don't think it is any secret to the factors composing the success - a high esteem is placed on higher education by both groups with a respect for intellectual pursuits, along with a proper work ethic and no hangups about getting paid well to do your job.

nitro

#25     May 2, 2005
  6. "SAC Capital's Stevie Cohen reported more than $8.2 billion in long equity investments spread over 1,882 positions at the end of last December. This was more than double the $3.4 billion reported 12-months earlier."

His top holdings as of the end of December 2004, were TXU, Sprint, NRG Energy, Stryker, Oracle, Lehman, Kmart, Hilton, Google, GE, American Standard, and MSFT.

#26     May 2, 2005
  7. buylo

buylo

The guy who owns my prop firm had everyone read Ken Grant's book. Our top quant geek has run draw down models from his book on every trader in the Firm. I was disturbed when he ran mine and saw how much $$$$$ I keep giving away after I hit a certain point. Have been applying parts of his methods to my trading and am very pleased with the results. Volume and losses cut significantly with better overall profitability.

#27     May 2, 2005
  8. Nice, glad to hear it. I really like his framework. Simple and effective.

#28     May 2, 2005
  9. ozzy

ozzy

I brought up a valid question and point. I think there's a lot to learn from people who do things right. If you think there's something wrong with that, then its your problem not mine.

I have to admit I do enjoy stirring the pot up a bit and have people debate/think, nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

ozzy

#29     May 2, 2005

10. I am a member of TWO actually THREE minority groups/groups that have suffered historic persecution so I have grounds to make the follwing comments:

Why do we "minorities' waste time on our persecution complex?

Because we were previously persecuted does that mean NO ONE can question us, criticize us or challenge us.

Please deploy your energies on productive pursuits not this endless whining/persecution complex sob stories.

That is what is OFFENSIVE!

#30     May 2, 2005