Steve Cohen went to cash last week (at the bottom)

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by stock777, Oct 13, 2008.

1. JCVR

JCVR

They trade with hundreds of brokerages, obviously all of the big banks and many specialty shops so that they can get access to their analysts/research.

A great deal of their trading is electronic now, lots algorithm and dark pool executions.

#51     Oct 15, 2008
  2. Excellent point. And if unemployment soars figure that will depress the pool of new money coming in too. There is no denying the market will take an enormous time to recover. Add in a threat of deflation on top of that and you won't see any money going back into the market anytime soon.

#52     Oct 15, 2008
  3. I have to edit my $70 TRILLION CDS number.
    That includes "both" parties. Thus, the real number is half that.

$35 Trillion as of Oct. 9th

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=141334

#53     Oct 15, 2008
  4. We have an internal estimate at my fund as we trade with all of the top dealers. The firm estimate is > 100 trillion USD worldwide.

Cheers.

#54     Oct 15, 2008
  5. zdreg

zdreg

how about deflation and inflation at the same time?

#55     Oct 15, 2008
  6. lassic

lassic

new word: bushlation :p

#56     Oct 15, 2008
  7. Mulhern used to say "everyone who ever partnered with Izzy ended up driving a taxi."

Is that a form of risk management?

#57     Oct 15, 2008
  8. BadCo

BadCo

I read in Alpha that SEC was going from technical to primarily fundamental.

Reading between the lines, Cohen is saying that his fund has gotten too big for his in and out style, and now he has to become an old school pool that accumulates at the end of bears and distributes at the end of bulls.

It's amazing how this game hasn't really changed in over 100 years.

#58     Oct 16, 2008
  9. So (god forbid - mutual fund managers everywhere getting chills up their spine) waiting for the bottom to jump in and go long. Rockefeller supposedly did it.

Could that be the next strategy?

#59     Oct 16, 2008
  10. #60     Oct 22, 2008