Sterling supports 64bit?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Sterlinguser, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Hellp
    I found it is very slow with my ATS. I want to add more Ram on my computer, but if Sterling only support 32-bit, it is useless for the Ram higher than 1G.
    Does Sterling TraderPro support 64-bit or 32-bit only? Is SterlingTraderPro bale to support 4G memory Ram?

Thanks so much for your reply!!

2. bespoke

bespoke

Do you mean the API feed? How many quotes per second are you receiving? I doubt having more RAM will help. What language is your ATS written in?

3. Thanks for the reply!!
    I am sorry I don't know how many quotes per second I receive, but in my target stock pool, there are around 500 stocks in the list. It is slow to receive the data when I run my program. If the Sterling only supports 32 bit, I can't install 64 bit Windows XP, which means my RAM will be used no more than 3G.

I asked someone to write my ATS in VB and .net.

4. I just received the reply from Sterling,

Sterling Trader Pro will run in 32-bit mode on the 64-bit Windows OS. Sterling will use the /System32 folder and not the /System64 folder. There is no 64-bit version of Sterling.

Sterling Trader Pro, and any other 32-bit application, can only make use of up to 2 GB of RAM, as an individual app. But if your computer has 4GB of RAM, that is all the better; Sterling can use up to 2 GB, and some other application(s) can use the other 2 GB.

5. bespoke

bespoke

500 stocks will definitely slow you down. Sterling quote server isn't what it used to be my friend. Try having a few level2 windows open with that. You'll definitely feel the freeze.

When you say " It is slow to receive the data when I run my program.", do you mean your ATS, or Sterling?

Although this may just be me, I wrote an ATS in C#.NET and it gets quotes very slowly, only up to 500 per second. Thats enough to look at maybe 25-50 stocks without lag. Whereas, I wrote another ATS in VB6.0 and it gets quotes at over 4000 quotes/sec. Coincidently, their ActiveX examples are mostly written in VB6. The ones written using .NET don't download quotes, they only monitor open orders.

Have your programmer add a quote per second counter in your program

But if your programmer can get past that quote problem, please give me his contact! .