Steps to becoming a great trader

Discussion in 'Forex' started by T-Bone Trader, May 27, 2009.

1. Eric215

Eric215

Either way, here I am tired as hell trying to convince people to take my advice, lol. You guys do what you want, I'm going to bed. You win.

Edit: One last thing, if I sounded arrogant or anything I apologize as that was not my intention. I was just trying to get my point across.

#31     Jun 4, 2009
  2. You're totally missing the point, let the merit of your argument determine what others think, your claims mean diddly!

I'm not suggesting your ways of thinking don't work, it wouldn't matter how diverse or off-the-wall they might be, after all there's more than one way to skin a cat. By the same token you need to be less conceited and concede that you don't have the monopoly on profitable trading ideas and approaches and that someone else might also be profitable with a completely opposite approach.

I obviously don't know for sure but something tells me you are more into the theory of trading rather than actual practical trading experience, I may be wrong of course, it has been known!

#32     Jun 4, 2009
  3. Eric215

Eric215

Ok, I haven't went to bed yet so one last reply. Your quote above is exactly my point. Everything I said ALL comes from experience and not one bit from theory. I detest theory, and I believe it keeps most traders trapped in "almost got it" land forever. Yet you claim that you are not profitable so your advice or teachings couldn't be anything but theory. Do you see my point. Because I am constantly profitable my advice is solid truth from actual experience, and I am living proof, yet you say you are not consistently profitable, so your advice must be theory. I mean how could it be otherwise? If your advice wasn't theory then you would be successful, no? This goes back to that whole outside looking in thing, you are trying to brand me as something that you actually are! Respectfully of course.

#33     Jun 4, 2009
  4. Well I can't say I'd go a bundle on Soros's 'aches and pains' indicator but who knows, my grandma could tell when it was going to rain if her rheumatism was playing up and she was usually right! Mind you there was probably some scientific reason ie air moisture or something. I bet she would have made a good trader, "oooh me bunions are giving me gyp, better short the dollar!" :)

I'm the same as you, I tend to break things down looking for logical reasons why they should work, or more importantly why they shouldn't work, if anything I'm my own devil's advocate which isn't easy at times. Although I'm often influenced by gut instinct (wrong more times than it's right funnily enough and it's kept me out of some profitable trades!), it's not the mainstay of my strategy and I'm not sure how confident I would be if it was. I like clearly defined rules, as little discretion as possible, and the discipline to follow them no matter what.

Each to their own I guess but intuition wouldn't do it for me I don't think, it would be like driving with my eyes shut!

#34     Jun 4, 2009
  5. lol, excuse me? I don't remember saying I wasn't profitable, I didn't mention it one way or the other as in this context it's irrelevant.

You're the only one here who thinks that by repeatedly saying you're profitable it in some way convinces anyone or supports and adds weight to your argument when in fact I think arguments should be judged on their merit.

I know profitable traders who haven't got the sense God gave a sack of beans, and unprofitable traders who know every trading theory going but who can't trade to save their life.

By the way I'm not trying to teach anyone anything, I'm simply debating issues, readers (if they haven't lost interest already) can sort the wheat from the chaff of respective posters.

Have a lie down.....

#35     Jun 4, 2009
  6. Eric215

Eric215

You can make fun of my advice all you want, it makes no difference to me. I also never said that psychology and emotional awareness is the only factor in success. I said and agreed with the OP that psychology, and more specifically emotional awareness, play a large role in someone's consistent success.

And again, the reason I state that I am a professional and a very profitable trader is so that other traders understand that my advice is not here say or "theory" but actual truth that I have gained through my journey to success. I mean if I was a new trader and there were ten different traders, with an array of advice, one thing that I would surly want to know is, have any of you traders actually become successful with your advice, or are these just your theories? So for you to keep saying that I am bragging or being conceited is just ridiculous. I am simply helping those who might be reading our comments to be able to determine who's advice is actually proven. I mean the way you , and some others around here talk, if I was new or learning, I wouldn't know who to believe. Your never ending arguments make it seem as though you have authority on the subject. Also, as far as my comments standing on there own merit, that is just a ridiculous idea to a new trader. Who is the judge of whether my advice has merit? You? Other unsuccessful traders like yourself? The guys who think all dealers are a scam? Let's hope not.

Or back to another example, if I wanted to become a pro baseball player I would prefer, if possible, to hear from other pros, as opposed to those in the minors who think they know everything.

#36     Jun 4, 2009
  7. There's absolutely nothing to say anyone here is successful or unsuccessful apart from their word, and like I've explained to you numerous times before people can claim whatever they like because there is no way of dispoving it, in any event it's not relevant to the discussion.

The idea of debating issues is so that opposing views can be put forward and discussed rationally, there should be no automatic acceptance that what someone says is correct simply because they claim to be profitable or successful. The reader can then evaluate what he is reading and decide for himself what makes more sense. In other words based on the actual merit of content as opposed to perhaps fabricated and imaginary claims from the author.

Now, is there anything which you'd actually like to debate here or are you just going to keep telling us all how successful you are and that we should accept what you say as gospel, and how unsuccesful everyone who disagrees with your opinion is?

I think you need more sleep, 4 hour naps are having an adverse affect on the old grey matter!

If you feel the urge to reply with more of the same dross then save yourself some time, just refer to my previous replies for your answer.

Now go and get another 4 hours and then have a nice cup of tea, we'll probably still be here when you get back :)

#37     Jun 4, 2009
  8. Eric215

Eric215

Debating issues is fine and posting ones opinion is also fine. However, when I post a comment about emotions and then you loudly chime in right after me and attack my comments and state that my advice is crap as though you have some special authority on the subject then I will defend my comments and state that my comments are not from here say or theory but from actual fact, where as your even louder comments are based on theory at best. In the right circumstance it is perfectly acceptable, and even called for, to note one's expertise on a subject. Notice I don't have these arguments with anyone else? This is because the few times that I make posts, which is when I actually have something of proven value to add, then you chime in and attack them as though you're the authority on the subject, when in fact that couldn't be further from the truth. So, quit acting like an insulting, know it all, blow hard and then I will not have to post profitability.

As far as sleep is concerned, when I am responsible for other people's money in a 24 hr market, I sleep when I can, not when I want to.

EDIT: I'm also starting to see now why all these people have you on ignore.

#38     Jun 4, 2009
  9. Ok let me just explain to you how debates work, crikey, I can't believe I'm having a debate about debating, surreal but never mind....

One person makes a statement or expresses an opinion. Another person disagrees and rebutts the first persons opinion with what they believe is reasoned logic, and they express an opinion of their own. The first person then rebutts the second persons rebuttal with even more reason and logic......and so it goes on.

Nowhere in the process does one party in the debate simply claim superior knowledge as a reason that everyone else's opinion should be dismissed, that's hardly democratic! Support your opinions with reasoned logic and if they're more reasoned and logical that the other parties then they'll be convincing and win the day. It's fine to state your supposed qualifications or experience as a preface but your argument shouldn't rely solely on it, it needs to have something of substance.

What would you like to find fault with next, maybe we could reasonably and logically debate reason and logic?

#39     Jun 4, 2009
  10. zdreg

zdreg

in the foxhole there are no atheists.

#40     Jun 4, 2009