Steps for underqualified traders to find a prop firm

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by 1badpug1, May 14, 2013.

1. 1badpug1

1badpug1

Really great advice in this thread. Thanks for everyone taking the time to post.

#11     May 15, 2013
  2. 1badpug1

1badpug1

Thanks for your input. If I was in your shoes I think I would tell me the same thing. However the idea of wasting 3-4 years of my life doing something that doesn't technically benefit my career terrifies me. I think my time and money might be better spent developing a track record in those 4 years even if there's a reasonable chance of failure.

#12     May 15, 2013
  3. 1badpug1

1badpug1

It sounds like I'll end up paying higher fees no matter what. As long as I'm working under good traders who want to teach me then I'm okay with that. That's the cost of my accelerated education as opposed to trading alone.

I think what I'm going to do is put my name out there with a few firms and in the mean time trade demo like you mentioned. Thanks

#13     May 15, 2013
  4. dealmaker

dealmaker

There are 3 types of prop firms 1) employee 2) independent contractor 3) member. Prop firms in group 2 & 3 will accept you, may require a deposit and training fees. Of group 1 slim possibility but if you have been successful at poker you may have a shot.
    However I agree with the previous advice you were given, go to college.

#14     May 15, 2013
  5. 1badpug1

1badpug1

The reason I care about who I work for at the moment is because I want to accelerate my understanding of the markets. It's not to say I'm a prop guy.

#15     May 15, 2013
  6. 1badpug1

1badpug1

Thanks for your input. If I was in your shoes I think I would tell me the same thing. However the idea of wasting 3-4 years of my life doing something that doesn't technically benefit my career terrifies me. I think my time and money might be better spent developing a track record in those 4 years even if there's a reasonable chance of failure.

#16     May 15, 2013
  7. 1badpug1

1badpug1

It sounds like I'll end up paying higher fees no matter what. As long as I'm working under good traders who want to teach me then I'm okay with that. That's the cost of an education.

In the mean time I'll definitely set up a ninja trader demo account. thanks

#17     May 15, 2013
  8. timcar

timcar

Going to college and trading part-time is a real good choice.

If you go to college and gradute the problem is this

you have no trading captial

so yes trade while you are in school.

#18     May 15, 2013
  9. Since "more than 95% lose; they just lose", this sounds like a good way to have insufficient money to finish school AND have no trading capital when school is done.

#19     May 15, 2013
  10. ofthomas

ofthomas

you can always go to school online... lower cost and you can take a class every 6 weeks...

anyhow, I wouldnt do NT...

why not take $500 and open an oanda account and trade fx micro's for a little while... dont worry about only winning/losing 50c or $1.... treat it as if it was $500K... in the end, the $$$ will have to not matter if you ever want to scale...

#20     May 15, 2013
    VPhantom likes this.