Steps for a career

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by iTrade310, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Hmm good catch, I don't think Columbia has an undergrad Business program.

#11     Apr 15, 2011
  2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Oh. I assumed he had meant the College of Arts and Sciences at Columbia. I think I got trolled.

#12     Apr 15, 2011
  3. Firstly, it's Columbia University, not Columbia College.

Secondly, Columbia doesn't offer a Finance degree at the undergrad level.

Just another amateur troll.

Regardless, Naifwonder offered some stellar advice.

#13     Apr 23, 2011
  4. As a Mathematics major, I disbelieve that you need a Math and CompSci double major to succeed as a trader. Mathematics helps one exercise objectivity and think abstractly, both of which can be synapsed to a wide array of fields. However, even if you are formulating your custom indicators, you don't need a mathematics degree to engage in higher level arithmetic at best (I was surprised to discover that the stochastic indicator doesn't involve any Stochastic calculus) . I actually believe majoring in math just to build custom "OMG- the blue line crossed the red line" indicators is a ridiculous endeavor. However, a mathematics major is almost imperative for quantitative traders and can certainly give derivatives traders an undeniable edge.

Computer Science can be highly practical in terms of generating alpha, but only in exclusive niche strategies. I'm not even remotely interested in front running orders at the rate of pico seconds, hence I don't intend to take any upper year computer science courses.

Instead, I'm also majoring in Economics- a subject that I'm really passionate about and it's fairly pleasing to know that macro economics and econometrics are quite relevant to a global macro approach to trading.

#14     Apr 23, 2011
  5. A career in trading can be found in the book Market Wizzards, go and read it.

If you summarize what you read, it would look like this:
    year one: clueless.
    year two: some clues.
    year three: pain.
    year four: pain.
    year five: pain.
    year six: profit.
    year seven and after: size up to the sky.

#15     Apr 23, 2011
  6. Second this. That book is the very reason I decided to seriously consider a career as a trader.

Also check out Come into my trading room by Alexander Elder.

#16     Apr 23, 2011
  7. jfranco

jfranco

Why do ppl think trading has to the with math and science? I failed algebra 2 in high school was not the smartest kid but now im 20 years old and im seeing some profits. But i think one thing that separates me is the time i dedicated to learning this technical analysis.

#17     Apr 25, 2011
  8. ...there is a Columbia College, it's a school within CU. Hydroblunt hit the nail on the head, there are no 'business' classes really, they take econ courses and would call themselves econ majors. He'd also have a clue about the industry if he were taking similar classes as on campus recruiting would enlighten him.

Any finance classes would really be taken at CBS and he'd be sure to mention he was attending CBS as they tend to do that:p

#18     Apr 25, 2011
  9. emg

emg

Best answer in this thread. This is an example what why trading firms rather hire grad with math degree instead of finance. In today trading world, we are going into pure logic vs 20 years ago.

Think about this. during the 1950-1980s, we didnt have algor, bots, black box, high speed internet. More than 90% of trades were done by phone.

In today world, more than 90% of trades are done by computer. Those that are pursing finance degree will land them a sales job and will expect to cold call like those movies (boiler room, wall steet, glengaryglenrose, etc). Those that purse math and computer sciense degree will land them a trading assistant job in the beginning.

naifwonder has the best answer. Good Job!

PS.

I will be using your quote under your name to teach more than 90% of losers what is trading all about.

#19     Apr 25, 2011
  10. Mr Genius

Mr Genius

Warren Buffet disagrees with your notion. Being a successful trader has nothing with one's mathematics aptitude.

#20     Jul 25, 2011