Stephen Hawking on human extinction

Discussion in 'Politics' started by futurecurrents, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Lornz

Lornz

I got it.

I'm not really sure why anyone would want the human race to continue its existence, though?

#11     Jan 9, 2012
  2. pspr

pspr

You obviously don't know the science.

#12     Jan 9, 2012
  3. Ricter

Ricter

Aren't you the guy that started the "scientists are biased" thread?

#13     Jan 9, 2012
  4. Hawking's even come up with some bone-headed ideas in physics that he's had to retract, e.g., that if the universe started contracting the "arrow of time" would reverse.

#14     Jan 9, 2012
  5. pspr

pspr

That would be bad. It would mean 4 more years of Obama. Or would that just undo everything he's done? :D

#15     Jan 9, 2012
  6. Both -- first the latter, then the former but interspersed in exact reverse order. Like playing "Revolution 9" (Beatles) backwards :p

#16     Jan 9, 2012
  7. Wow. So if 98 out of 100 doctors tell you need surgery you would just ignore them? Are you a climatologist? Can you understand the simple fact that CO2 is 36% higher than it was two hundred years ago? Do you know what greenhouse gas means? I have a degree in Environmental Science so don't try to tell me I don't know about the science. Ice age? Iceball earth? Ha! Gimme a break ! Talk about ignorance! Maybe you should read this....
    http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globalwarming.html

#17     Jan 9, 2012
  8. Given the abject stupidity displayed here it makes me wonder.

#18     Jan 9, 2012
  9. pspr

pspr

Do you know that CO2 is a trace gas in the atmosphere and it has been shown to be a result of natural warming not a precursor?

We have been in an interglacial warm period which is near if not at the end of it's cycle in geologic terms.

#19     Jan 9, 2012
  10. Ricter

Ricter

I used to wonder myself if a runaway greenhouse effect, like Venus's, was possible here, ala the positive feedback loop you mention. But, do you think there is enough CO2 on Earth, in any entrapment that could realistically be released by us, to reach a comparable equilibrium? I realize that that much warming is not at all necessary for general crop failure.

Edit: I did find this, just poking around google... it appears the answer is, "no".

http://mc-computing.com/qs/Global_Warming/Venus.html

#20     Jan 9, 2012