Step Right Up... And Play B*A*R*R*O*N*S

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by stonedinvestor, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Good for you and thanks.

I will keep reading your posts (and many others here I suppose too) hoping you can keep them short and to the point.

Best wishes to you...

:)

#11     Dec 27, 2006
  2. Chip is placed folks 450 shares @ $24.64 IHG. Nice little pull in here for the stonedinvestor.
    Let's see if we can keep the Barrons game success rate at 100%. Since this is a potential take out story we are going to have to let it run for a couple weekends, I expect to sell around jan 10th.

ps. S&P upgrade recently back with more info on that later today!

#12     Dec 27, 2006
  3. Well folks we did it again! I won't blame you if you get off with the $1 pop that's a $450.00 return for a $3 Barrons!

If you do flip into HMIN which is another China / hotel play but with lots of volatility to the upside.

I'm going to let it ride a bit and check into that S&P upgrade this afternoon.

Cheers~:p

#13     Dec 27, 2006
  4. My condolences on the CLWT. Did you see the action/ news announcement today... not the joint venture but the announcement of the loss and business is drying up? Do you know of any Chinese pollution plays where the company isn't a middleman?

You might get a rip out of Collective2.com since you once wrote a newsletter.

#14     Dec 27, 2006
  5. Wow Guildenstern The Mrs. Is Not Going To Take CLWT well since I stuffed it into her retirement account! I have a nice basket of Chinese plays though take a look into CHDX.... I thought CLWT swoon was due to picking up 20% of that lint company! Thanks for the tip about slowing business I'll look into that.

The Barrons game has a working component IHG> and as such we have to let that story play out before claiming victory and moving onto another game. Here's the new scoop:

Market Awaits InterContinental Bid
    Chris Noon, 12.28.06, 2:56 PM ET

Christmas has passed, but InterContinental's still getting fat. The rehashed rumors of a bid for the U.K.-based hotelier, the operator of the InterContinental, Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn brands, are doing wonders for its share price.

The company's share price has risen 271 pence ($5.31), or 26.8%, over the last month amid rumors it is about to receive a bid valued at a significant premium to its current share price.

Several U.K. newspapers named several potential predators over the long Christmas weekend, including oft-rumored suitor Permira, rival private equity group Starwood Capital and a Dubai-based consortium.

The company's stock climbed 4.8% on Dec. 22 after The Guardian reported, without citing sources, that InterContinental might get an offer from a buyout firm at a significant premium to its stock price. Expect the share price to keep rising on Friday and after the new year. A 1,500 pence ($29.41) per share bid would value the company at about £5.7 billion ($11.2 billion), including long-term debt.

On Thursday afternoon, Intercontinental, which is the world's largest hotelier by number of rooms and earns more than 70% of its profits in the Americas, told Forbes.com it had no comment on the speculation.

$29 would be oh so nice! Plus I would expect more than one suitor and an eventual bidding war.

Some of the other names to keep an eye on EXAS-
    has been moving a bit from $2.25 to $2.83 in the last 5 days or so ($2.40-$2.70 are my build a position zones.) Of Course our Barron's hinted stock of WPSC had a big run of $18-$19.50 sort of angry I didn't go with it- it's come back down to $18.73. And if you happened to catch my flip suggestion into HMIN- well you had a huge week....

#15     Dec 30, 2006
  6. Folks it's all about accountability. Did you buy arotech They announced today that its Battery and Power Systems Division has received new orders totaling over $600k for various military applications. The batteries and chargers will be used to power portable communication equipment and tactical computers.

"We are pleased that our Battery & Power Systems division continues to gain wide-spread acceptance among militaries and OEMs world wide," said Robert S. Ehrlich, Chairman and CEO of Arotech Corporation. "The various types of products we continue to provide allows us the opportunity to penetrate new emerging markets with our battle-field-proven technology."

Ehrlich also noted that, "Arotech's backlog stands at $41 million versus $22 million for the same time last year; the majority of the current backlog will be delivered within fiscal 07."

Take a look at the stock since this post $3.25 to
    $4.25... How about EXAS anybody jump on the poop angle? Same time period $2.20 - $3.00!~ stoney

#16     Jan 12, 2007
  7. ARTX might have had an exhausted move up yesterday getting as high as $4.60. There is some excitement about armored ambulances but I think we may say goodbye today on any attempt to get back to yesterdays high. ditto EXAS we'll take our money and run. Giving up on the hotel deal as well IHG... will pool money together and try to find one big beautiful place to put it.

#17     Jan 18, 2007
  8. Folks as is so often the case the answer is right here in the same thread! GIGM!

"In research reports Gigamedia a stock I already dig is in there but with pretty stale news by market standards, not sure if that's enough (GIGM)."

Now this morning I see they have entered the lucrative sports game market in China.. lets take a whirl today with GIGM. BUY!

#18     Jan 18, 2007