Step by Step How HFT's will SCREW YOU on the payroll number

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Joovenile Jatt, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Yet another well informed good argument by the HFT nerds. When you ask question after question and all you receive is no answers and abuse, then that is as sure a sign of guilt as any.

johnnyqpublic ... another one to add to the HFT Offenders list.
    Do not let him move into your neighbourhood, if you see him lurking near any normal prop firms with a long anorak and his hands DEEP in his pockets please inform the police. :D

#51     Sep 8, 2010
  2. You sure you're not stock777's cousin?

#52     Sep 8, 2010
  3. Sorry I'm too buzy stuffing the bid side order book, so when the market moves up fast everyone short will experience severe slowdowns and will then have to pay up to get out of their shorts.
    I'm long from the open and the HFT bid side manipulation here is working a treat. LONG LIVE THE NERDBOX!!!!

#53     Sep 8, 2010
  4. It's weird, I've never experienced the slowdowns you describe. I'm using thinkorswim on a crappy DSL line.

ping -c 5 google.com
    PING google.com (173.194.35.104) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from lga15s16-in-f104.1e100.net (173.194.35.104): icmp_seq=1 ttl=250 time=162 ms
    64 bytes from lga15s16-in-f104.1e100.net (173.194.35.104): icmp_seq=2 ttl=250 time=297 ms
    64 bytes from lga15s16-in-f104.1e100.net (173.194.35.104): icmp_seq=3 ttl=250 time=291 ms
    64 bytes from lga15s16-in-f104.1e100.net (173.194.35.104): icmp_seq=4 ttl=250 time=194 ms
    64 bytes from lga15s16-in-f104.1e100.net (173.194.35.104): icmp_seq=5 ttl=250 time=113 ms

#54     Sep 8, 2010

5. It depends what you view as slow.

By the looks of things you are trading on average at twice as slow a speed as me. Trust me if your are trading at over 200ms, you are miles behind. It may not look to the eye like it is slow, but i can assure you that you a turtle and not one of Richard Dennis's trutles either :p

#55     Sep 8, 2010
  6. I've never claimed to be anything. As I recall, you'd added me to some HFT something or other list. I reiterate however that I see no slowdown, no inability to trade, even after news comes out. My trades still execute. If I lose money, it's because the market went up and I was selling.

#56     Sep 8, 2010
  7. No that’s not really intentional lying – but you are grossly misinformed and misrepresenting yourself – it’s also obvious that you don’t really understand networking or how bandwidth works.
    You aren’t really on a 100mbit line, you SHARE a 100mbit line and you have no clue how your network admin set up the priorities on your switches so you could be throttled back to 1mbit/sec and have the lowest priority for all you know – you are just guessing and throwing out numbers that don’t make sense at this point.
    50 guys on one 100mbit line (which I would guess is burst not symmetrical (would you like to test that for us?) is WAY TOO SMALL of a pipe. Unless you are all manually trading and only scanning a few securities – you would need closer to 300-500mbit line (symmetrical not burst) to handle 50 traders.
    In your Task Manager, go to Networking and tell us how much bandwidth you use at peak times. Multiply that by 50 and see where your firm is at, remember that quote servers will probably pull closer to 35mbit/sec sustained but we’ll leave that out for now and stick with the basics to prove my point.

Actually there is. There is no NBBO like stocks, there is no sub-pennying, there is no market makers, etc. You are grossly mistaken if you think there is zero difference between stocks and futures.
    I did and it was fine, in the equity space I saw nothing unusual outside of wider than average spreads and lower than average volume – but I assumed that was due to the holiday
    Sounds to me like your prop firm needs to update their hardware or you need to update your desktop. Are you running quote servers off P4 machines? Is your desktop a Pentium4? What you are describing as Quote Stuffing is just a spike in market activity, which usually happens around economic numbers. Just because your systems aren’t able to handle that does not mean someone is out to get the whole market – it simply means you are using old technology that needs updating. It also sounds like your three buddies need to get their backers to update their boxes as well.
    What? Nerds maybe… but 10ms is an eternity as is 85ms. If you are sitting at your prop firm (in Chicago I presume if you are trading futures) then you should be able to get a fill confirm back in < 45ms if trading manually. Internalization and matching engines are in the nanosecond space, 10ms is a good execute for a remote box or even a manual trader, 10ms execute for a matching engine or an internalization algo is a dinosaur. Again you are grossly misinformed and need to learn a few things.
    Are you sure your broker isn’t throttling you to take a look? Lots of them do it. You either have crappy hardware (your computer, lines, switches, etc.) or you are getting played, or both. The issue you are experiencing has nothing to do with what you describe as quote stuffing. Get a better system that can handle the data and you won’t have any delays.
    Quote Stuffing is different than front running and it seems that you don’t know the difference or you are lumping the two together. As I said previously, if someone is throttling you, or your quotes, and then taking a look at your orders before they go to market… then you are getting bent over by your broker, not by HFT (or your broker is using HFT to trade against you, which is really sad).
    I don’t insult people and I think you make yourself look stupid, not anyone’s reply. At an economic or energy number volume and interest picks up and more orders go to market, that is not quote stuffing its just a spike in volume. Your systems are old and antiquated or your broker is throttling you… It has nothing to do with anything outside your firm.
    Well now that’s not always true either… lol
    Experienced good screen traders are blowing out because they are making bad calls/decisions and lose trading, not because HFT is taking their money. The ONLY hint of corruption **might** be from your broker who could be looking at your orders before they go to market. Outside that – yeah it seems like you are a sore loser. Sorry… someone’s gotta say it.

#57     Sep 8, 2010
  8. That's even worse, your so behind everyone else and you don't even realise it. That's what HFT is all about. They want to rob you without yo noticing. The facts show you are miles behind, because you can't see it with your eye is irrelevant. Most don't realise how slow they are, we are talking milliseconds, the eye cannot see the millisecond differences.

#58     Sep 8, 2010
  9. Actually, as Winston has noted, milliseconds are irrelevant as far as the fast game is concerned. But I'm not trying to play it. Are you? I'm not the guy moaning about how money is being stolen out from under my nose.

Please swallow your pride, read Winston's reply twice, and consider his words at face value.

#59     Sep 8, 2010
  10. I like Winston's reply, unfortunately though he is obviously an intelligent chap, he is somewhat misinformed about the market generally and totally misinformed about my situation. He lost a lot of credibility when he called me a sore loser. I'm long from the open today, I need to watch the market here, will answer his points when I have time

#60     Sep 8, 2010