Stem Cells bill vetoed

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RedDuke, Jul 19, 2006.

1. pattersb

pattersb Guest

.... I'm no BioEthicist. I'm strictly speaking from my own gut reaction. My gut reaction to manufacturing human life to be used in such tests is that of severe pain.

But then again, I may be little more than a regressive, caveman.
    The phrase "slippery-slope" while grossly over-used was coined exactly for such situations.

To answer your question though, I'd find it preferable to find other means to find such cures. Adult stem cells show promise, so I've read.

Again, I don't claim to be an expert, but when my gut wrenches like this, it's usually a good indicator.

I'm NOT religious, and I find it very bothersome. Very much like something Huxely warned us about.

#11     Jul 19, 2006
  2. Uhhh, haven't you figured it out that if someone has what we need, we invade them, or start wars so they need us, or try to overthrow their government, etc.

After all, the neofucks here will say "it is our medicine anyway."

#12     Jul 19, 2006
  3. pattersb

pattersb Guest

... provide an example.

#13     Jul 19, 2006
  4. It's not even fetuses that are in question. That's a complete straw man propped up by those who support Stone Age medicine.

The better question is what to do with 100's of Billions of eggs and sperm that are developed every year from "in vitro fertilization." As it stands now every thing that is excess from IVF is destroyed already. That can and will (just without govt funding) be used in research to save lives.

Bush and his veto are literally the domain of the ignorant and willingly stupid.

#14     Jul 19, 2006
  5. That's off by about 6 orders of magnitude: Try "1,000,000 murders." :D

#15     Jul 19, 2006
  6. War with Indians, war with France, war with England, war with Mexico....

That's just the first hundred and fifty years or so...

p.s. Do you really have no idea what the CIA does/has done?

#16     Jul 19, 2006
  7. It is our medicine anyway!

damn, I hate when ZZZ is right. :mad:

#17     Jul 19, 2006
  8. http://thinkprogress.org/2006/07/19/defending-bushs-veto-rove-grossly-distorts-stem-cell-science/

Defending Bush’s Veto, Rove Grossly Distorts Stem Cell Science

Bush is expected to veto a bill that would expand federal funding for embryonic stem cell research. It will be the first veto of his presidency. Last week, Karl Rove –- explaining why Bush planned on vetoing the bill — told the Denver Post that “recent studies” show researchers “have far more promise from adult stem cells than from embryonic stem cells.”

The Chicago Tribune contacted a dozen top stem cell experts about Rove’s claim. They all said it was inaccurate. So who wrote the “studies” that Rove was referring to?

White House spokesman Ken Lisaius on Tuesday could not provide the name of a stem cell researcher who shares Rove’s views on the superior promise of adult stem cells.

In a letter to President Bush last year, a group of 80 Nobel laureates wrote that “current evidence suggests that adult stem cells have markedly restricted differentiation potential.”

Question: Does President Bush believe that adult stem cell research has “far more promise” than embryonic stem cells? Is that a contributing factor in his decision to veto the bill?

#18     Jul 19, 2006
  9. This evening there was a news byte about adult stem cells on the local TV stations here in New Orleans. Tulane University has got a grant or something of that sort to produce adult stem cells that are supposed to be the cure all. Just FYI.

#19     Jul 19, 2006
  10. This is all calculated political bullsht. You know it is. Bush is a dumbsht. You know Rove ran the political calculus and decided this was the way to go. Makes their far right religious whacko supporters orgasmic and shows that Bush actually can veto a bill. Pisses off the smart people, but who needs THEM?

bt

#20     Jul 19, 2006