staying motivated and productive

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by ssrrkk, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Many have said this already, but as a fellow programmer, there are many times when I try to program something, and end up spending hours trying to figure it out to make no progress towards solving my problem. Eventually I give up for the time being.

When I return, the solution to all the problems with my code frequently comes to me in a few minutes.

#21     Jan 23, 2012
  2. promagma

promagma

Maybe now that you feel you have something, you gotta keep the dream alive and every new line of code had better be beautiful.

Code your prototypes with reckless abandon - it is just that, a prototype. And sometimes mistakes lead to discoveries.

#22     Jan 23, 2012
  3. promagma

promagma

Also, you may be at a point where your code is complete and you feel like you've achieved something. By using it, you realize that some parts need to be rewritten. You may end up rewriting 50% of everything. But it won't last forever - and your code base will only improve.

#23     Jan 23, 2012
  4. ssrrkk

ssrrkk

I think you nailed my sentiment. Good analysis. I always remind myself of the "infinite power of editing" when I write code AND manuscripts to try to get things down quickly. But I am also wary of "backing myself into corners" when I code. Sometimes I get over-specified in my class structures and how they interact, and it becomes almost impossible to do anything so I go back and generalize. It's a long process going back and forth. Also I am not so much stuck on beautiful code but I just sometimes fear that I might somehow break the working algos. I have multiple back ups of everything at every stage to alleviate this fear but what can I say, there is an irrational component to the subconscious. Finally there is probably a larger thing at play here -- originally I was a huge skeptic of trading as a source of income. I was a non-believer and believed the general academic notion that it is quite improbable to arrive at an algorithm that makes money consistently. So in the beginning, I was doing it as just a light-hearted hobby, and only half seriously. However, after finding a few algos that seem to be consistent for at least a few year I have become quite emotionally invested into making these things work better and better. Anyway, thanks for the insights.

#24     Jan 23, 2012
  5. Look my friend, trading at all is hardcore, its not for pussys.

To suceed you must be more hardcore, you understand.

Dont make a break, you must push yourself to new limits, all the time, you can get sick and die later, now you have to find the perfect mastermind strategies.

That means, take walks, rethink about the problems, take different views of the problems.

Always have a pen and paper with you, also at night beside the bed, there come the best ideas, when the brain relaxes.

In that strategy creation process where you are right now, you must work your ass off, and test everything new idea, immediately, with many backtesting examples, and only concentrate on things what are looking easy and logical to you.

And build it up from there, try, then to make it more easier and easier and you will see, you can filter it more and more, and you will see more and more.

Dont stop here, work harder, its just once a life.

You can be rich and finacial independent in a few years and really enjoy that, while others you know, work their mothafucking slave ass job, for 40 h a week or so, for 2 - 3k a month, but you will make then 20 - 30k easily a week, while enjoying it to be your own boss and beeing proud of what you have created.

Do it. Lets go.:) :) :)

#25     Jan 23, 2012
  6. ramora

ramora

Well said!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K4J_QfiGRRc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#26     Jan 23, 2012
  7. ssrrkk

ssrrkk

I've had similar experiences -- hoping it's going to be that way this time as well.

#27     Jan 23, 2012
  8. ssrrkk

ssrrkk

Not stopping, just pacing myself. I've been beating my head against a brick wall for a month. need to refuel then will take the hill.

#28     Jan 23, 2012
  9. Perhaps if you focus on protecting your capital rather than finding the secret to profits, they just might reveal themselves.

"There are old traders and bold traders, but very few old, bold traders"

-Seykota

#29     Jan 24, 2012
  10. gmst

gmst

ssrrkk,

reviving this thread to see if it worked out for you?

Always curious to see how fellow traders are doing. GL

#30     Jun 30, 2012