Staying motivated after success

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by nursebee, Jul 16, 2022.

1. nursebee

nursebee

Investing has brought us greater fortunes than expected/planned. Retired early two years ago. Zero money worries expected for the rest of our lives. Zero effort investigating new opportunities in the market for a long time, really don't need to try.

But I've got this nagging thought that more can be done to take current level of financial freedom up to a whole new level, perhaps even 10x the current money. For a while now I've thought this, but done little for it other than buy a couple new books.

I think I am birthing a new game plan to return to market work, stalking the next great companies, be prepared to move in manners similar to the past. But much work has to be done. The work will be hard, although enjoyable at times.

For those of you that have had life changing success in the market, do you deal with laziness or poor mental attitudes? Perhaps adapt a "if you've won the game quit playing" kind of viewpoint?

If you have returned to the market after a success induced hiatus, what helped turn the energy back into production?

For me, I think rereading some classics will help. Perhaps some therapy, but not sure how to find the specific help needed. Or perhaps just tuning in better will get me down the path.

2. mikeriley

mikeriley

Helping as many Traders as possible glean the same level of success.

HawaiianIceberg and VPhantom like this.
  3. If you're bored,
    Start a hedge fund, or become a Larger than Life social media personality, entertainer, salesman. Go all out, build a production set.
    You can always make much bolder, bigger, greater bets in the market to truly expand, as well.

And buy a cat to hold and center yourself and think and reflect,

4. Jzwu2017

Jzwu2017

When you’re that successful money is no longer the motivation. Do whatever makes you happy.

5. Do you have a private jet? If not, then go for it.

What about multiple wives? More kids are always more fun.

These are the things I will be targeting.

6. nursebee

nursebee

How? I find this almost laughable. What I've done is not attractive, quite boring, not rags to riches overnight, is damn hard. I've been a bit public all along and everyone laughed the whole way here. Most are not willing to work, self critique.

VPhantom likes this.
  7. nursebee

nursebee

I am not bored.
    Starting a hedge fund would not really help a change back into productive energy. I also don't need OPM or OPM headaches.
    I'd rather stay in the shadows than those other public persona things, cant see benefits.
    Bold alone gets you killed.
    Bigger and greater? Yeah, that is sort of what I want to do.

8. Very nice and well put. I can relate a little, like I always ask the homeless guys I see if he has any dinner idea's for me because I am so tired, uncontent and frankly bored of eating steak lol!!!!

You brought up a very good and valuable point too though, maybe I could seek a therapist to help me come up with thoughts on how to approach dinner. Seems we both have a lot to contemplate. I am wishing both of us the luck and wisdom to be able to find a solution.

SunTrader and Axon like this.
  9. nursebee

nursebee

I'm not sure the right way to think about a private jet. We've been exposed a bit to better travel, including by air. I'd tend to think of a private jet as a consequence of right actions in the market, not as a motivator or a goal. But folks with bigger and faster air travel have more of the world open up to them absent the aggravations of commercial travel.

BTW, not really at private jet status yet.

10. schizo

schizo

Material success does not equate to happiness. On the contrary, more wealth you acquire only makes you feel more insecure, never content with what you already have. Hence, find your happiness first, then make money.

#10     Jul 16, 2022