Staying humble

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by slumdog, Feb 6, 2013.

1. the one that will get you, is thinking you don't deserve this kind of money

start thinking that way

and you will start giving it away

it can go the other way

I'm doing everything right

why does God hate me so?

the oldest book in what you call the Bible

is the book of Job

it adresses all the psycho problems a trader will probably face

#11     Feb 9, 2013
  2. sle

sle

Right now, I am getting paid the aforementioned "serious bucks" to trade volatility products on behalf of a fund. Guess what, I do have losing days and losing weeks. My employers are grown-ups and understand the nature of the business.

In my career on both sell-side and buy-side, I've had losing and flat months and had a nearly-flat year. If you think it is possible to win every day, you are either doing some extreme form of HFT, being delusional or (most probable) just trolling.

#12     Feb 9, 2013
  3. Humpy

Humpy

Uriah Heap was humble, " very 'umble to be sure sir "

#13     Feb 9, 2013
  4. I never said you have to win every day although I have witnessed it. Learn to read and stop making incorrect assumptions. Everything you've said thus far points you as an amateur, you aren't on a top tier firm's payroll.

#14     Feb 9, 2013
  5. sle

sle

Yeah, I've interviewed with the firm that was able to "win every day". They had such a neat trading floor in the Lipstick building - you could literally fabricate microchips there, it was so immaculate.

Of course not. I've worked for a couple top tier firms before and they pay less.

I am not going to make a statement, but will pose a question - do you actually take risk or simply work in IT/MO or even back office?

#15     Feb 10, 2013
  6. pissing contest?

or is this who has the biggest?

Mine goes all the way to Saint Louie!

anybody want to play who is the biggest man at the table?

#16     Feb 10, 2013
  7. sle

sle

Of course. It's ton of fun :)

#17     Feb 10, 2013
  8. LoL so far you have so many inconsistencies, How do you work at a top tier firm and get paid "less" unless you were underperforming? The point is you just admit you are not on the payroll, I knew it. I'm real good at judging people, I wouldn't have gotten this far without this skill. I had you pretty much figured out. Thanks for confirming.

#18     Feb 10, 2013
  9. sle

sle

It's a known fact in the industry that top tier firms are good place to be a manager at or a good place to be from. In general, they pay out less of the performance - the assumption is that the value of the seat is higher.

So, if one is truly able to extract money out of screens, he's better off working for a lesser firm that would give you a better deal, assuming similar capital allocation. I found that the best bet is a stable, medium-sized (500mm to 3 yards) fund instead of a hot name IB or an "in the news" large fund. This way I get better risk limits, broader mandate and have a personal relationship with the partners.

Awesome, you are good at judging people. Now, what product/strategy do you trade? Wait, I know "you can't tell us because it's too high profile" or something. Do you actually deploy capital or are you in a support role and come here to get your jollies off pretending to be a hot shot trader?

PS. There are plenty of very good people here (and out there) that are not on "the payroll" and they are doing quite well. I don't see how working for a monstrous bank makes one a better person or a better professional.

#19     Feb 10, 2013
  10. Sounds more like an insurance salesman doing some BS strategy on the side and thinking he's a badass "trader". I don't know about you SLE but I love dudes like this. We can sell him INHUMAN volatility when his moving average/RSI/Bollinger Band/Fibonacci Olive Garden invitro boom boom indicator tells him it's time to get in and he's buying 50% IV when it was 20% 5 minutes ago.

#20     Feb 10, 2013