Staying Healthy

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Arjun1, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Cocoa butter is from the cocoa bean. A fat, but a good fat. Maybe it is less money to use man made hydrogenated fat in chocolate, but not good for you. So if they want to use that hydrogenated fat for chocolate, they can not call it cocoa butter on the ingredients.

#51     Feb 16, 2009
  2. mokwit

mokwit

That is my point, they were trying to [call it cocoa butter on the ingredients].

#52     Feb 16, 2009
  3. :) Ok, FDA did a good job. I understand now.

#53     Feb 16, 2009
  4. LEAPup

LEAPup

Your post caught my attention. Good stuff! I have a Friend in California who trains Pro athletes in physical conditioning. He sent me a DVD called "Eating." The M.D in the series said "put your finger in the back of your mouth. Feel the molars? Those are for grinding grains, berries, etc., Now put your finger in your dog's mouth. Feel those teeth in the back? They're sharp like a pair of scisors aren't they?" Apparently, the dog's teeth are made to slice through flesh, where Human teeth were designed to grind. I was amazed at that. Ever notice when you eat meat, you get it stuck in your teeth, and it drives you crazy? Maybe we really weren't meant to consume meat at all...

He also pointed to the fact that obesity, diabetes, cancers, etc., all "blossomed" omong the wealthy in the great depression. If you go back then, you'll see that the poor basically lived out of their gardens, as there wasn't really any "bringing home the bacon." HOWEVER, they were lean, and didn't have the physical problems that the wealthy had. He noted that the wealthy could afford to eat at nice restaurants, eating steaks, high fat foods, high carb foods, sugary drinks, etc., Well, well. These people are the same one's who gained weight, and started having numerous physical ailments that the poor didn't have. Ironic huh?

Here's my question(s). My Friend gets frustrated with me as I'm a former competitive bodybuilder, am 220lbs now (about 12% bodyfat. Out of shape...) I MUST eat a large amount of protein to retain nitrogen, recover from workouts, and ultimately grow.

I get my protein from Whey (yes, a dairy by-product), egg whites, chicken breasts, fish, and buffalo burger. No other animal products. No oils besides Olive Oil on my salads.

What can you recommend for protein sources that aren't soy related?

What's a typical day's meal plan look like for you? I can't seem to find much more than breads, vegetables, salads, and beans for meals throughout the day. I could use some help/ideas here.

I eat 6-7 small meals per day, and consume 250-300 grams of protein. When cutting bodyweight for a show (that's been a few years ago:eek: ), I was consuming 400-450 grams of protein per day. I won't do soy as it lowers serum testosterone levels.

#54     Feb 17, 2009
  5. NoDoji

NoDoji

We are protein-fixated in America. As for quality protein, leafy greens and broccoli have the highest amount of protein per calorie, with legumes above animal protein as well. Thing is, you can cram a lot of animal protein into your body because it packs the protein into a smaller package. (For example, broccoli contains almost twice the protein per calorie than steak, but 100 calories of broccoli is a bowlful, whereas 100 calories of steak fits in the palm of your hand. Broccoli not only contains high quality complete protein, it contains tons of phytonutrients; steak contains some iron, a lot of fat, and concentrated toxins from the environment. Animal protein, especially high quantities, fuels tumor growth. If you haven' read The China Study, it's a pretty powerful book.

Yesterday I went on an arduous 4 hour hike and my meal afterwards was over a pound of broccoli and other veggies, half a pound of pineapple, and whole grain cereal with a fresh apple in it. That's pretty typical. Your best source of plant protein is green leafy vegetables (kale, romaine lettuce, spinach). But all plant foods contain ample protein. How do you think the buffalo you eat grows into a massive muscular creature? Eating strictly plants :cool:

#55     Feb 17, 2009
  6. That's the other worst saturated fat that raises LDL

#56     Feb 17, 2009
  7. MMMMMM you're making me hungry!

#57     Feb 17, 2009
  8. Thanks pupu for all the links. I will be reading them on this weekends. Much appreciated.

#58     Feb 17, 2009

9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05zhL1YUd8Q

#59     Feb 17, 2009
  10. zdreg

zdreg