Staying Healthy

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Arjun1, Feb 9, 2009.

1. bloomberg.com had an excellant article today on mediteranean eating habits[which it called med..... diet] But its not really about losing weight, but plenty of ''fish & vegtables''

Not mentioned but also important there. is olive oil:cool: ;
    most evey meal i think.

#11     Feb 10, 2009
  2. There was an article about an Israeli woman I believe, about 6 months ago, who claimed to be like 126 years old. They had some documentation proving it. When asked what her secrets were she said she drank a small glass of olive oil every day since she could remember and also took walks for cardio. Thats all.

#12     Feb 10, 2009

3. NODOJI what you posted above is the best post and advice ever. you could not be more correct

i party i drink and eat. changed my diet similar to what you said and i feel great think much clearer than before wow!!!

#13     Feb 10, 2009
  4. =====================
    Sounds true,RR;
    walking is better than running especially on pavement.

Olive oil is tasty on wholewheat sanwiches & tomato juice...........

#14     Feb 10, 2009
  5. Olive oil is very good. Buy first cold pressed because it does not lose nutrients with heat process. Buy in dark glass or a can so light can not destroy the nutrients.
    Here is good dressing for salad.
    3/4 olive oil
    1/4 wine vinegar
    little water
    4 or more clove of garlic with garlic press to have the juices
    oregano
    basil
    salt
    pepper
    little bit of brown sugar
    Shake it together.
    Easy to make, less money too than dressing in the bottle at the market.

#15     Feb 10, 2009
  6. Thanks for sharing your story and this information. Glad that you are healthy and feeling so good now.

Your post really caught my attention. I am going to try this for 12 days and see how I feel afterwards. I am a huge fan of meat so this is going to be very challenging but we'll see how it goes. Nothing on the list seemed to be to hard as I knew I would have to give up meats and all and I don't eat much cheese or dairy.

The one item that caught my attention though was coffee. I don't think I can give that up but was surprised to see it was a no-no. I drink espresso (no sugar) every morning so at least it is not a Starbucks cafe mocha with whipped cream on top. Oh well, guess you got to keep some vices... I didn't see alcohol either but I wasn't really wanting too :) :) :) Cheers!

#16     Feb 10, 2009
  7. NoDoji, glad you are healthy!

were you ever treated by conventional methods?

#17     Feb 10, 2009
  8. great postings from everyone

I love this

" Follow this plan, then take the money you'd spend on supplements and doctor's bills and short a pharmaceutical stock"

#18     Feb 10, 2009
  9. CET

CET

I have done a decent amount of research on resveratrol, and supplements appear to be a waste of money. The problem is that it oxidizes and becomes ineffective. The same thing happens to the resveratrol in wine if you don't drink the bottle in a day or so. You need to get resveratrol through wine or food. Unless you are sharing the bottle of wine one normally does not drink a bottle in a day, so you may want to consider the box wine that is vacuum sealed. Yes, I said box wine. There is a decent selection these days. You just drink a glass or two and no concerns about oxidation. Grapes, muscadines and peanuts are good sources too. You can search for others.

Healthy oils you should consider are omega 3 (fish oil) and extra virgin olive oil. Make sure the fish oil supplement you get has been distilled so mercury is not a concern. Store the olive oil away from direct sunlight. Also, almonds are very healthy nuts and the only one I eat. While walnuts contain omega 3 they are very acidic to your system. So are peanuts.

The best site I have found for quality supplements at great prices is Vitacost.

The Dr. McDougall site has some decent info but is far from optimal. Many of the foods listed are very acidic to your system, and this negatively impacts health. I suggest you do some research on how foods impact body pH. The important thing is how the particular food affects your body and not the pH of the food. Here's a link you may want to read, but the main thing is the chart at the bottom of the page. There are other charts out there, so just use it as a guide. Some people may not believe in this aspect of food, but it may be helpful to some. The goal is too eat 2/3 to 3/4 of your diet from the foods that have an alkaline impact.

http://www.alternativemedicinedirect.com/AcidandAlkaline/index.php

#19     Feb 10, 2009
  10. the healthy effects of the Mediterranean diet have to do with lots of veggies, little fish and very little meat. olive oil has little to add to the nutritional benefits of a largely plant diet. :)

#20     Feb 11, 2009