"Status" suggestion

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by traderkay, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Exactly. Good work.

#21     Sep 26, 2003
  2. Thank you.

#22     Sep 28, 2003
  3. hey baron, what do u think of my suggestion?

#23     Sep 29, 2003
  4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I think it could be implemented in a perfect world but in the real world, it's virtually impossible to implement for many reasons:

1. People will lie about their status
    2. There's no way to verify a claim of profitability.
    3. The definition of "Profitable" is relative to a specific time frame, which can be misleading. Since all traders lose money and have unprofitable days, months, or even years, what time frame is "profitable" supposed to refer to? If I've traded for the past 3 years and have made money virtually every month, but recently have been on a losing for the past last 4 months straight, am I profitable for being net positive over the last couple years or am I unprofitable because I've lost money for the last several months in a row?

Even if we could put a standard definition and time frame on the term "profitable", it still would be a term that refers to the past, and has no bearing on the future. A profitable trader can become unprofitable -- or even broke -- in just a few trades if the circumstances are right, so I really don't see how a status change would accomplish much at all.

I appreciate you taking the time to submit a suggestion. If it could be implemented realistically, I would do it but in this case, I don't see how it could be implemented in a way that would be reliable for other traders.

#24     Sep 29, 2003
  5. ok, thanks for responding (finally).

#25     Sep 30, 2003