Statistics class today : Am I correct or is my teacher?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Algo_Design_Kid, Aug 23, 2011.

1. But that isn't the point.

OK, great that is the definition. But it wasn't presented like that. Nor does it matter ( my only point this whole time ) who gets what.

The argument in class was the sample size bias lies in the fact that some people got more than others. Which was obviously wrong.

Would you agree?

#21     Aug 30, 2011
  2. :D :D :D

Stoner logic at work...!

Drugs make you think outside of the box... the only problem being is that what's in the box happens to be reality and right and what's outside is wrong and fantasy!:p

:)

Yup... This is the right answer...

There is bias in this example because of the fact that you're only looking at 58% of your entire sample size. So some people will get "more" or "less". The distribution isn't even... In fact, some people would probably get more white crystals and some people would get less blue crystals. The distribution wouldn't be even, even if the entire 50 crystals were handed out but that wouldn't prove "bias" in any way. So here Algo... happens to be right. That's just the way normal distributon works.

Seriously, Algo... say no to drugs... It really messes with the clarity of your thinking. You've made a confused mess out of something really simple...

Overall, the question is sort of unfair from the start... Did the teacher really present it like that or is that what you understood while you were under the influence...?

#22     Sep 1, 2011
  3. Blue crystal, white crystal, what kind of friggin' school is this anyway?

#23     Sep 1, 2011
  4. Well... The kind of school stoners go to...:D

I think the teachers are just trying to relate...:p

#24     Sep 1, 2011
  5. It is exactly how it was presented. The definition of sample size bias makes sense. But it wasn't presented like that - it was presented as if there was bias because some people just got more than others.

#25     Sep 1, 2011
  6. Dude, cut back on the drug use. I don't mind if you do it in a college party on a Friday night, but come on! Why, go to class while high?

#26     Sep 1, 2011
  7. wolfpack

wolfpack

Maybe then he won't be second guessing his teacher!

#27     Sep 1, 2011
  8. Dude, because if you haven't heard yet weed doesn't make you deaf, dumb and blind. That is establishment type talk there.

Yeah, I may be in the minority but smoking weed is like chewing a piece of gum to me. The only other drugs I do are psychedelics.. you aren't going to see me nodding off etc.. Im way above that shit brother

#28     Sep 2, 2011
  9. For those reading this thread, don't always think that the person on the other side of your trade is a genius. I hope you trade futures, so I can take some of your money like I did to the others who bet against me today.

"Not surprisingly, marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory. Research has shown that, in chronic users, marijuana's adverse impact on learning and memory can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off.2 As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a suboptimal intellectual level all of the time."

http://drugabuse.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html

#29     Sep 2, 2011
  10. nursebee

nursebee

My old friend Mary Jane, when she came my way, really threw my brain for a loop with memory and especially math. Imagine smoking everything in sight each night then taking calculus from a non native who took time out of class to kneel down towards Mecca during class. I wonder if Prechter knew her?

In order to understand this arguement, I would love it if somebody defined bias in the manner it is being used.

I hope the other students interest in subsequent chapters of the book, especially chapter five, was piqued. Heck, if I were the original questioner, I'd skim forward to find the answer

#30     Sep 2, 2011