Statistics and math behind it. Do I need it?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Evergreen_, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Calculus you don't need unless you're trading some exotic hard to value options.

A rigorous and intutive understanding of statistical significance is vital for anyone who is looking at any kind of backtest results. Also some understanding of the modelling of financial time series would help, eg the typical behaviour of volatility.

GAT

#11     Nov 15, 2017
  2. Mikkel

Mikkel

Maybe a noob question, but how can you obtain that data?

#12     Nov 15, 2017
  3. DaveV

DaveV

I don't know where you can get the daily percent changes, but the End Of Day Historical Close Prices are available from many sites, some of them free. Check Yahoo Finance, Google Finance, or search this website. Once you have the closing EOD prices, then calculating the daily percent change is simple math. The Pearson algorithm, in almost any computer language, is easily found on the internet.

#13     Nov 15, 2017
    Mikkel likes this.
  4. sle

sle

Yeah :) it’s also useful to understand the various artefacts that can be produced by it (which is why it’s sometimes useful to winzorize the data, use digital correlation or use basket vs component variance instead)

#14     Nov 15, 2017
  5. truetype

truetype

Sorry, what's digital ρ? Maybe ρ of the signs?

#15     Nov 15, 2017
  6. sle

sle

Same thing, yeah

#16     Nov 15, 2017
  7. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

You do not need the math behind it. Learn to exercise Prudent Risk Management.

#17     Nov 15, 2017
  8. Mikkel

Mikkel

Okay but in Y! Finance, in the historical data section there are opening prices, highs, lows, etc. How can I separate them for use only the data I need?

Edit: I tried to open the file with a program that I have used on the econometrics subject (EViews) and now I have the data separated.
    Thank you and excuse me for waste your time.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    #18     Nov 16, 2017
  9. Simples

Simples

Yes, the more advanced mathematics you can come over, memorize it, use it well, forget it.
    It'll bring zhe $$$ profits and none will understand why, not even you.
    Also makes you mysterious and get zhe chicks!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    #19     Nov 16, 2017